HEL!!! Hen cant stop sneezing and shakin her head

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MagicMarcy66, Feb 9, 2013.

1. MagicMarcy66

MagicMarcy66 Out Of The Brooder

My poor GiGi is almost to a paniced state. She can't stop sneezing and shaking her head. It becomes so frequent and comes to a point where it seems like it a super hard sneeze and then is subsides for a minute or two and starts all over again. I found her like this about 10 minutes ago in the back yard. She is otherwise a healthy hen. Any ideas what I can do to help her??? She is in the house and seperated from the rest of the flock. HELP!!!!!

Lisa

PS no one else is sick in the flock. It sounds kind of like a croupy sneeze

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Have someone else hold her and look to see if she has something stuck in her nostrils or throat. I have had birds get a piece of grass or hay stuck in a nostril causing such a reaction. If you can see a foreign body, try to grasp it and firmly but slowly pull it out. Good luck at resolving this.

3. MagicMarcy66

MagicMarcy66 Out Of The Brooder

Thank you Sourland[​IMG]

I think the sneezing has resolved and she is much more calm and relaxed. She loves being in the house with us and she hasn't sneezed in about 10 minutes now. My son and I looked in her nostrils and in her mouth and couldn't see any foreign body's.

I can't stand it when something goes wrong with my girls. They are the best and it just makes you feel helpless at times if you can't help them right away.

Thank you again for your help.

Lisa

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hopefully she just got something in there and managed to sneeze it out. The way you described the sudden onset and dramatic nature of her sneezing, I'm thinking that is most likely the case. Glad that all is good with her now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by