1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Helen is losing energy and won't walk. No one is laying.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LearningToFly, Jul 5, 2011.

1. LearningToFly

LearningToFly Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2007
    In March, our 4yo hen Jane suddenly stopped walking. She just sat. After about two days of this I took her to the vet. He said she had an abdominal tumor and to take her home and make her comfortable. She died two days later.

Now, our 3yo Helen is doing the same thing. Helen is an Australorpe, by the way. She is just sitting in the roost box, on the hay. She's not perching, not leaving the box. There are no eggs, so it's not as if she's gone broody. She is not eating or drinking.

Our other two hens (Lucy, a RIR, and Ethyl, a white Plymouth Rock), are also three. They have all stopped laying. It's hot here, but that's not unusual. They are eating well, and drinking; roaming the yard during the day; seem to be doing fine other than no one is laying.

My flock consists of these three birds plus 3 pullets and a duckling that are housed separately.

Any help you can offer?

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:A hen doesnt need eggs to sit on to go broody...Believe me I KNOW...I have a BLRW hen on nothing and never had anything but she is broody:) Have you checked her for lice and mites? is she eating/drinking/pooping normally?

3. LearningToFly

May 4, 2007
    No eating or drinking at all. She's fairly listless; not acting like I would expect a broody hen to act.

4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:Feel her breast bone area-is it meaty or thin. If its thin-she may be ill....Did you check for lice and mites? I would get some electrolytes in her and make her some wet mash-scrambled eggs with vitamins in it

5. LearningToFly

May 4, 2007
    My daughter is going out to check the breast area; I have made her some mash-eggs and some electrolights. Thank youl

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  6. LearningToFly

May 4, 2007
    My daughter brought her in the house; her breast area is fine. We took her out to feed her the scrambled egg, and she was eating the egg, running all over the yard, and generally acting normal. So... I guess she's just feeling broody, but we'll watch her closely over the next several days. Thanks for your help!

7. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    I just betcha they need worming. Don't let the vet tell you they don't have worms.

8. LearningToFly

May 4, 2007
    Worms?

Okay, can you help me with this?

My vet is a dog vet; we live in the suburbs.[​IMG]

9. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Try some Wazine in their water from the farm or pet supply. If the demeanor improves, reworm in 7-10 days with some pour on Ivermectin. I use about 5-6 drops on my larger size hens. They pick up worms from the soil, worms, snails and slugs in the yard.

10. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:The Ivermectin is applied directly on their skin. 3 drops above vent area not in it-and a drop under each wing directly on skin-works like frontline on a dog or cat:) TSC has it for about 17$ a bottle-blue liquid and it will service 100's of chickens. It takes care of external and internal parasites-but not all-it works great

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by