Helga the meat hen

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by bemba, Oct 7, 2011.

1. bemba

bemba Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Mary Valley QLD.
    Just thought I would share a story of Helga our meat hen...... Well I rescued her from becoming snake food, She grew and grew and GREW haha, she was always a really sweet natured bird, at feeding time late afternoon, Helga was always still eating out in the dark, I would carry her into the coop. As she grew her weight was really starting to put pressure on those legs, and I feared her legs would give way, and I would have to put her down.

About a week after that, I noticed her comb was much bigger and really deep red...... She had started to lay!! She would walk up the stairs and jump up onto the dogs couch on the verandah, and lay one every day without fail.... and also she would lay a double yolker at least 3 times per week. This was a god send for Helga, as she lost enough weight from laying all those eggs to take the pressure off her joints.

One day she came to lay her egg as usual, and she just didn't move all day, I was quite concerned..... but figured out she had actually gone broody!!! I was stunned. I gave her some duck eggs, but she crushed them all in the first 2 days [​IMG] So I got thinking, It would be nice for her to be a mother..... So I decided to put a goose egg under her!! Only a week and a bit to go till it hatches.
    [​IMG]

2. Miyashi

Miyashi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Gaylord, MI
    [​IMG]
    Awesome story!
    What a great hen!
    I loved my Cornish X hen...but she died of heart failure or something before she got to laying age. Her name was Henrietta. [​IMG]
    I think it's awesome that you are letting her be a momma. ^_^
    [​IMG]

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    A goose egg! How exciting! I can't wait for the egg to hatch!

4. KarenP

KarenP Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Westport
    I wonder if she will realize it's not a chicken???

5. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    [​IMG] Love Helga's story!

6. bemba

Feb 5, 2010
    Mary Valley QLD.
    I will take some pics when the gosling hatches.... hope it hatches [​IMG] it is definately fertile, so hope everything goes to plan [​IMG] PS when she broke the duck eggs I gave her a bath, so she is actually white ATM, the dirt on her back is from my Jap rooster trying to mate her..... Now that was FUNNY, he would jump on, and she would just keep walking around like he was just a bug on her or something [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  7. Dowie

Dowie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Fantastic story! I just love Helga, and her blithe indifference towards the midget rooster who attempted to mate with her. Now THAT would make quite a photo. Good luck with the hatching Helga. [​IMG]

8. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Awesome! You will have to update with pics!!

9. bemba

Feb 5, 2010
    Mary Valley QLD.
    Unfortunately Helga passed away 2 days after the gosling hatched, she loved that litle guy. I went out early morning to feed her and her baby, and she was dead?? The poor gosling was near frozen..... The gosling was adopted by it's biological parents and is full size now. RIP Helga you were such a gentle giant.

10. Lady Chickadee

Lady Chickadee Rocky Top Silkies

Apr 1, 2011
    Central Kentucky
    I'm so sorry![​IMG] I bet she was a great mother with the time that she had with it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by