Hell in my hen house!

suleo

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 21, 2012
Been an awful summer. Lost my Beatrice (Black Barred Hen) while I was away in Europe. She had been ill but I thought she was getting better before I left. My husband had to bury her 4 days before I came back.

Coop was still happy but a week ago had an incident. Blood in the run! Everbody came out when I went to clean the coop and run which I do everyday in the warm monthsand let them free range, My girl Rosie hid! Couldn't find her for a while. Found her then put her in the run only to have another red peck her vent! More blood! Isolated her. Rosie. Thought at first after the swelling that it might be prolapse or egg bound. Started soaks for 20 minutes. (She smelled like a fish). Then thought it was vent gleet. Applied hemorrhoid cream and anti-fungal cream! She won't eat yogurt but the whole rest of my flock is enjoying it! Putting apple cider vinegar in all water containers, She drinks that!

So after a week, I attempted to get her back in the flock during free range time while hosing out the run and cleaning the coop. All the dynamics of the coop have changed! Barred hens are now chasing her through the yard. Isolated them in an internal run. She is so sad. I am so sad!

Tonight after all the other 4 hens went to sleep, I washed her off again. Applied the hemorrhodial cream, anti-fungal, blue kot and Vick's on her comb! Waited until the rest of the flock was asleep in the coop. Put her in. She can't spend the rest of her life in isolation! No noise. I am praying that they all walk out peacefully tomorrow in search of food.

Have 2 new hens coming this week. A bit worried about the stress level in the coop. Have to say I protected my Rosie a couple of times with loud noises and don't seem to have the trust of my other hens.

Any advice would be helpful. Stressed chicken mama!

Can you put her in a crate inside the coop and run for her to be with the gang, but be protected from pecking until she heals? I like to keep mine with their buddies to keep the pecking order the same.

So all went better than expected. Rosie had vent gleet. She is now in a molt as well as 2 of my other hens. Cured the vent gleet. Quaranteed her for a while. Baths in warm water with baking soda, athlete's fungal cream on her behind (1st hemmorhoid cream), blu-kote spray and vick's when she went back in the coop in the middle of the night. That worked! Also had to do several times after she went back in because of the pecking order thing! Poor Rosie. Vick's works really well. The other hens hated it and stopped pecking her behind! She is finding her way thank goodness and some of the hens are actually being nice to her! Giving all the hens oatmeal with organic buttermilk and sometimes plain yogurt. Putting apple cider vinegar with Mothers in the one water and Avia charge in the other water container.

During this whole thing I had ordered 2 Australorps. Say a prayer! They just joined the flock (the big girl's coop!)after dark tonight, Let them see each other during the day because I have a smaller moveable cage. I alsouse that for emergencies. New girls are named Austra and Annie. They look so young compaired to my other hens. (Rosie, Reba, Wren, Brittany and B-lucky) Lost my lovely barred hen Beatrice in July to some illness). Told they were 15-17 weeks old a week ago. No combs or waddles yet. Anyone know when those should appear? They sort of look like crows without them. Think my other hens were pretty well on the way when I got them.

Thank you all who responded. It is hard when you don't have a poultry vet . Used the internet a lot to seek out advice. Pictures on the internet were so helpful because I wasn't sure at first if I was dealing with a prolapse or inpounded egg...she(Rosie) had been pecked until she bled on her vent...and of course it swelled!

So again thank you! Hope every flock is a happy flock!

Well the new young ladies (Austra and Annie) were put in the coop after dark last night. Bit of a ruckus this morning when everyone came out but I guess that is to be expected. Things seem to have calmed down a bit. I'm sure it will take some time. Watching that no one gets hurt and everyone gets enough food.

Back
Top Bottom