Helllllllllllllllpppppppppppppppppp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tulilynx, Jun 15, 2011.

1. tulilynx

tulilynx Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2011
    Hi.I have a Copper Black Cuckoo Maran chick who is 1.5 months old.Yesterday I noticed that it had some kind of foam in its mouth.Whenever it would open its beak the inside is full of a transparent slimy foam.Its not eating or drinking,nor is it making any sounds.Every now and then it shakes its head uncontrollably probably to shake some of the slime off.I've felt the crop there is nothing unusual sticking out in there.The chick looks lethargic.Please help me I'm massasing its crop but it seems in vain.

2. silkie_sue

silkie_sue Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2010
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Quote:Hi sorry you are having this problem...try checking the disease section I'm sure you'll find what you are looking for....read all the symptoms of each.
    Hope this helps. Not many on this time of night.

Suz

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I'm trying to looks something up that will help you out. I know i have seen something that sounded a lot like what your bird has...now to find it!

4. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Sorry, so far I've come up with nothing [​IMG] I even tried to google it and it's not giving anything about foam in the beak, only in the eyes. I hope someone else will chime in here who knows what it may be. I will keep looking though!

5. silkie_sue

silkie_sue Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2010
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Checking my books...Fowl Cholera? symptoms; sudden death, severe depression, darkening of the skin due to lack of oxygen, and mucus coming from the beak...????? just reading and guessing as I don't know your birds.

Treatment: sulfa drugs and tetracyclines may reduce chicken fatality but will not cure carrier birds.

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    In that link the conclusion was that it was her craw (crop) and not enough grit. Perhaps the problem was indeed not enough grit, I don't know, but the craw is not where grit is used, it is used in the gizzard, to grind food. Maybe some of the approaches in the FAQ page links for crop problems would help your bird.

7. tulilynx

tulilynx Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2011
    Thanks a lot everybody,but today I noticed that the bird was voraciously eating from the feed container.On closer notice I saw that the beak was completely mucus free,however some of the mucus that might have leaked from the beak overnight had crusted on the outside of the beak.I removed this dried mucus and the bird now looks completely normal,however it seems to have lost some of the vigour it previously had.It tends to keep to itself and often looks tired and a bit worn out.Otherwise,everything is fine.I have a New Hampshire chick which too suffered from the same problem some time back(although there was no slime in its mouth) and I remember that it too recovered overnight without any assistance or medication.Just a small thing thats bugging me....Normally the cuckoo marans I have deposit stool which is charcoal black,however during its sickness the bird's stool became white and watery.I hope somebody can recognize this as a symptom and probably identify the disease.Lastly,a small breed of ants has infested our house,and they release strong formic acid when crushed.My chicks normally devour these ants and nothing happens to them but probably this one ate too many.Any ideas?
    Thanks a lot again for your concern,all of you![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by