Helllllpppp... BCM eggs.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by keithallen1965, Sep 13, 2009.

1. keithallen1965

keithallen1965 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    conroe
    Ok I set these eggs on the 24th at 8:00 PM. And by my calculations Im on day 20. I have no movement however I candled on day 16,17 and all was moving and looked good. I have since lock down have had 99.5 temp and 62-65 Humid. so my question is are they still ok? Should I be seeing more movement just a little trimmer every now and then. I have averaged 98.3 since I began this journey This is my first try at this and am hooked. Just hopping there good!

2. poultryhaven

poultryhaven Addicted to Seramas!

Jan 19, 2009
    Ocala, FL
    What incubator do you have? If its still-air the temp should be at 101-102. If not it will be a late hatch probably

3. Hippie Chickie

Hippie Chickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Port Orchard
    It seems that you temps were a bit low and so it might take a few extra days for them to hatch. If you have a still air I believe that you should have been averaging about 102 for temp. Of course that's just what I've read on here. My broody is taking care of things for me. I hope that you have a good hatch. Hopefully someone with a bit more knowledge will post soon.

4. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    give them to day 23! Candle and then go from there. Day 25 and toss. They are hard to hatch !Mine hatched day 20 & 21, out of my 8 only 2 hatched~ I would say 70* humidity would be better~
    have they pipped?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  5. keithallen1965

Aug 17, 2009
    conroe
    Yes this is a still air Little Giant 9200 I believe. They are locked down so is it ok to go extra days with out being turned?

6. Sillystunt

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    Quote:Yes, leave them be! back away from the bator!your only on day 20

7. keithallen1965

Aug 17, 2009
    conroe
    Ok, Ill leave it be. No touching the bator... Just lot's of loooooking.

8. JewellFarm

JewellFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Lebanon, Virginia
    If your temps are 98.3, they should be higher in a still air. Around 101-102 would be ideal.

9. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    HIGHER humidity please. Quickly warm an old tshirt or several with warm water., tie with rubber bands, put them in your incubator, that will help the humdity....Don't boil or have them too hot though.....

The temp was low, it will take a while longer....

Good luck....BCM's have very thick membranes, as you will find, almost like ducks and just need the moisture...Remember they were originally swamp birds. Of the many many we have hatched, it really helps being in the humid south but you can compensate with this trick, or you can also get tubing and carefully add warm water in a ventilation hole,,,,this you should prepare before the lockdown the space for it.....

I disagree with candling, unless your incubator is too crowded. With bcm's and other really dark eggs,you risk tossing a developing embryo....Have hatched over 2000 eggs, I'm so ashamed to say I candled wrong once and tossed 6 baby chicks well enroute to being born, so I just don't candle my dark eggs anymore. I also think the more I candle, I risk transmission of hand lotion, dirt etc from my hands....I wash them thoroughly but worry if I missed anything. When I put my eggs in the first time or I send eggs in shipment, I literally wash hands and arms as if going to surgery.

Also, please don't lift the incubator or fiddle with it too much,,,,I know personally this is hard to do. I think my DH is going to lock the cabinet doors on the incubator and duct tape the stryos so I cannot touch at the wrong time.

Hope this was helpful!

Have a blessed day and just enjoy the hatching...

10. Sillystunt

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    Or use a sponge in a bowl with hot water~ I agree with the last post! Mine was at 70-75% and i am in Florida. RAISE THAT HUMIDITY!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by