Hellllp! Chicken poo or bad egg?

0fftonever1and

In the Brooder
Aug 12, 2021
I have 3 already hatched chicks in my incubator and 2 that haven’t even pipped yet. One that hasn’t even pipped yet has green stuff on the bottom of it and my sister swears it’s baby poop from another chick that he got rolled into. The thing that worries me is he got cracked one time when he slammed into another egg as they were both rocking around. We put candle wax on the shell but I’m still worried. Could it just be poop? Or is it a bad egg? What should I do? Is there any hope?

05198196-5F5E-4785-AF6E-58325B0C5E0C.jpeg

Take it out right now and see if it smells it could be a bad egg and if it explodes the rest of the eggs can get bacteria on it and die. Cuz it could be an egg The chick died. Please do this as quick as possible

Check and see if there's any oozing but the smell you'll know.
There doesn’t seem to be any active oozing. And he moved after the green mess, I was told. My sister and her fiancé and I all live together so we all take care of them together. I didn’t notice any smell.

baby chicks that just hatched have green poop. If it doesn’t smell rotten, it should be okay to keep it in.

I do wonder whether that wax is going to get in the way of an external pip...

baby chicks that just hatched have green poop. If it doesn’t smell rotten, it should be okay to keep it in.

I do wonder whether that wax is going to get in the way of an external pip...
Do you think I should try scraping some off? I know she’s in lockdown.

Do you think I should try scraping some off? I know she’s in lockdown.
I would candle to see whether she had pipped internally, and if so, where the internal pip is. if the wax seems to be in the way of an external pip, i would go ahead and scrape that part off gently.

If she hasn’t pipped internally yet, you can probably gently work away at some of the wax so it’s not so thick, then put it back in the incubator.

Back
Top Bottom