hellllp im so crap at this

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by liannajay, Sep 16, 2012.

1. liannajay

liannajay Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2012
    Firstly I live in the UK
    Got my first lot of ducks, EVER about 20/25 weeks ago. I have noticed, thanks to the interweb ... I have 2 girls and 3 boys :-0, how unlucky is that! doh! the breed is khaki campbell.
    I keep my ducks in a garden shed, I have 2 plastic dog beds in there filled with straw. I lock them up when they go in at dusk and let them out just before school run at 8.30 am ish...Then they have run of my garden. Its not big but I have 2 small plastic water pools, and a grassed area.
    I am feeding them on layers pellets and corn ... and loads of goodies like water melon, meal worms and all the plants I HAD in my garden!!!
    My question is ... will the girls EVER lay?? I put them a false egg in the dog bed but nothing..... The male is now activley (Playing cards) with the girls allot (lucky ducks)
    I just want to ask what am I doing wrong

Thanks in advance for replies.............................

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

1. You need to get rid of 2 drakes. Your ducks are going to end up injured and may be stressed now.

2. If you are keeping drakes they do not need layer feed. That extra calcium is bad for their bodies. You can try a all purpose feed like Flock raiser and oyster shells.

3. Ducks can sometimes take longer to mature. You should have eggs soon.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  3. Mum

Mum Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2011
    UK
    Welcome to the forums, liannajay [​IMG]

I have KC's and I don't think you are doing anything wrong; you just need to be a little bit patient.

Also, have a good look around your garden because it just might be that they are laying there. Let us know how you're getting on [​IMG]

4. heatherscreations1969

heatherscreations1969 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2011
    Derbyshire UK
    Welcome babe! I am in the UK too.....Derbyshire......
    I agree, you need 1 boy to 2 girls.....having 3 drakes spells disaster, they can drown your hens while mating, especially in the spring when the hormones kick up a notch.

Have you checked your garden for eggs? they do tend to lay eggs anywhere they like and not always in the shed....oh and they bury them under the bedding material at times too :)

*hugs* Heather x

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by