Helllp QUAIL Chicks (two now) with an eye issue w pic of ulcer in eye

monarc23

Coturnix Obsessed
11 Years
Jul 18, 2008
Indiana, Pennsylvania
What could be wrong?

I have two chicks now that started out with an eye ulcer and the one now has such a swollen eye it's head looks deformed although it's not...

I put terramycin ointment (for animal eye issues) on both of their eyes....

The one with the swollen eye, when I first noticed it it was last night, it had somethign stuck under it's eye lid looked like a peice of bedding, i took it out as delicately as i could, today the eye had an ucler and hat's when i put the ointment in it hours later it looked like this:

IMG_1867.jpg

IMG_1868.jpg

now just 5 mins ago i looked saw another chick with one eye closed i picked it up and shined a lighton it...it ALSO has an eye ulcer, i gave it the ointment on the eye...and now im baffled....two withthe same problem....

could it be the dusty bedding or am i looking at a possble illness??

help!! i've posted in two different places and didnt get ONE answer...i really need help here plz.

****UPDATE****
here is the ulcer on the chick with the swollen eye (same eye as the ulcer ofcourse):

IMG_1902.jpg

no nasal discharge, no hacking, no odd liquid coming from the eyes, the eyes do look watery, however no water is leaking out of the eye itself....3 chicks in the quarentien tank the newest one does NOT have an ulcer though...just keeping one eye closed like it hurts.

Last edited:
* I don't know if your chicks have a congenital problem or what, but, if your bedding is cedar, it's toxic to chickens. Another possibility is sticking lids tearing the cornea. I had that happen to me-- not a chicken. My eye dried out overnight in a/c, due to low humidity, stuck to the lid and tore the cornea at some point when I blinked. Ocular antibiotics in the a.m. and vit. e drops at bedtime at night were what it took to heal it. About 3 weeks worth. Whatever you do, keep everything that gets near their eyes scruplously clean. And you find them developing a thick plug of mucus in the eye-- like a hard-cooked eggyolk in texture, it may be corzya. Look that up. In fact, since you have 2 chicks now, I would suspect corzya anyway. It is communicable.

Last edited:
seriosuly guys im despirate doesnt anyone knwo what could be wrong....maybe they both just hurt their eyes on dust and im scared for nothing but I do not want to lose my whole lil chickie crew to something if i could have treatedit early with help from you guys im not finding anything online....
sad.png

d.k :

* I don't know if your chicks have a congenital problem or what, but, if your bedding is cedar, it's toxic to chickens. Another possibility is sticking lids tearing the cornea. I had that happen to me-- not a chicken. My eye dried out overnight in a/c, stuck to the lid and tore the cornea at some point when I blinked. Ocular antibiotics in the a.m. and vit. e drops at night were what it took to heal it. About 3 weeks worth.

Nope no cedar bedding however i do use pine bedding should i stop??? their eyes seemed non-sticky like haha, but maybe they were...i hope so i am so scared it's an illness....i hatched them here myself in a brand new incubator never used...and they're in a brand new brooder (never used) i clean out the brooder once a day (normally in the evenings) and they are all through out the brooder (so i know they aren't chilled). That's why i can't see it being an illness but im just worried...i lost almost a whole rabbitry onetime to "snuffles" i'd be so upset to lose my first chicks to something scary too...

tahnk you for replying i was starting to think no one cared LOL!​

Quote:
I have a "Duramycin 72-200 (oxytetracycline) injectable solution could I use that for them? I bought it reciently to treat my baby rabbit who was having breathing difficulties it helped her emensly by the next day she was better...could i use thsi for the chicks...fi so i have NO idea how much to use....or where to jab such a tiny chick....argh!

First I would try Terimycin eye ointment, you should be able to get that at your feed store. Might just do the trick.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom