1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Helllppppp!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Gvnam, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Gvnam

Gvnam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    Tried putting my nearly 6 week olds in with my 16 weevers and they were going after my chicks!!!! They grabbed ahold of them and would pull them around.

How would you suggest I make it impossible for the pullets to get to my chicks? Should I hardware wire a 1x1x1 ft box? they hens aren't laying yet and my nest box is about 3 feet long and doesn't have a separator. Should I put them in that and put netting/ screening over it? Please help!

2. ScottyHOMEy

ScottyHOMEy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Waldo County, Maine
    Rig up some kind of enclosure to keep the younger birds in for a couple of weeks. Build it so that they wil have contact with the older birds though tehthe wire between them. They need to get acquainted and used to each other being around before they all go in together. Once they're used to seeing and being around each other, there will only be the usual sorting out of the pecking order among them.

Lots of threads on here about introducing new chickens. Run a search for other ideas.

3. slim1986

slim1986 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2011
    Highfill, Arkansas
    If at all possible move the youngsters out until they are bigger, pecking order thing is normal, but when they are that young compared to that much older, you might lose the little ones!

4. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    How about dividing the coop area and put them in a larger box back in the house at night. A huge double wide Refrigerator box or a big Refrigerator Box at least.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  5. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    [​IMG] Sorry double post. There is something wrong on the server bc I got a error message

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

There is much too big of a size/age difference to try mixing right now. Ideally, they should be fairly close in size before you try to put the youngers in with the older ones. Find a way to divide the run (chicken wire) and put a dog house in that side (add a door so you can close it at night) for the chicks for a few weeks. Many times you can find an old dog house on craigs list (for free).

7. Toshi

Toshi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    IN corn state
    First off way too young to even try that, a bigger chicken could eaily kill a chick. Make a little pen in the coop or a dog house like someone sugested, make sure the bigger ones can't get to the chicks. It is best to wait until they are like 14 weeks, by then they should be about the same size as the other hens.

8. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    I agree, too soon to add to larger birds.

9. andrea63

andrea63 New Egg

Nov 6, 2011
    Poor babies!![​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  10. NinnyGillaspie

NinnyGillaspie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    Huntsville, Tx
    When we put our 3 week old chicks outside, we have it where are separated from the others, and when they are ready, we will cut the wire, and build an opening. I've heard too many stories where 2 yr old hens just started being very mean.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by