1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello ☺ Silky doing forward rolls!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mumchef, Apr 18, 2017.

1. mumchef

mumchef New Egg

Apr 18, 2017
    Hello everyone, my chicken and I are new here. My 15 week old silky (Leah) started furiously grooming her belly and armpits 2 days ago. I picked her up and went right through her feathers and she has no mites. Now she has started running backwards with her head tucked under her and sometimes tumbles right over!I took her back to where I got her yesterday and they gave me some antibiotics, Triple C (Chlortetracycline hydrochloride). She still eats but mostly does head stands. Please help.

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hi [​IMG] Welcome To BYC

From your description she may be suffering from Wry Neck which neurological symptom of several conditions, such as a vitamin E deficiency, certain diseases( Mareks, avian lymphoid leukosis, Newcastles,) or from a head injury/trauma.

Offer her wet chick starter and Vitamin E (400 IU daily) along with some eggs or tuna for Selenium. She may also benefit from some poultry vitamins that contain B vitamins or you can crush a human B-Complex tablet and add it to her feed. Watch to see that she is staying hydrated well.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq

3. mumchef

mumchef New Egg

Apr 18, 2017
    Hello, she is immunised so I hope it's wry neck and I can help her. She's so lovely [​IMG] Thankyou for your reply.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by