1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello ^_^

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by oinkpiggieoink, Dec 11, 2013.

1. oinkpiggieoink

oinkpiggieoink Out Of The Brooder

Dec 11, 2013
    Hello, I came to this site because...Well let me start out by saying...I have always been a piggie girl, and my mama loves chickens lol My house is filled with pig stuff and her chickens. I recently got some chicken egg's(my piggie needed a new home) :( I have never dealt with chickens and am currently incubating my very first batch ever(EXTREMELY exciting!!), and every time I have looked up questions I am sent to this site and I always get great answers, so after a couple days of reading around this site I decided it best to join. I have sooo many questions, pigs are waaaay different lol :D I actually already have a strange question. While I currently am in the rare position where I am without my beloved pigs I do plan to get another one in the future. Does anyone know how well that interaction would be with the chickens? would it be best that when I get a new piglet I keep them separate? I am so nervous about hatching these little guys! I heard that they are still attached to the egg when they are finished hatching. Do they pull themselves off it on their own? Also just any extra advice would be great. thank you so much. I have some pictures I need to put up later because I have one egg that I have no idea what is up with it. My dad is a carpenter so about the only thing I am not totally concerned about is the coop being built properly. I mean, I am doing everything like I am supposed to but I just cant shake the feeling of nervousness, and extreme excitement! thank you for the answers and thank you for the help understanding what to expect on my first hatch(Sorry if I went on to long) I am already in love with my little chickens as much as my first piglet lol

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

3. ChicknsRock

ChicknsRock Overrun With Chickens

Oct 4, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! Thanks for joining us!!! [​IMG]

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  5. Shalom Farm

Shalom Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2013
    Florida
    Welcome to BYC!
    I've had a pet pig roam fine with the chickens. He was an adult when he came to us. They tend to get along, although this pig was about a smaller/medium size pig. Not sure how a very large boar or sow would do if matched with a more aggressive breed of chicken.

6. oinkpiggieoink

Dec 11, 2013
    thank you all. your so welcoming.

7. CMP1999

CMP1999 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2013
    Tularosa new mexico
    welcome i had a show hog she weighed 275 and my silkie went missing one night and could not find her and i went to go feed my pig and the silkie was sleeping on the pigs back she stayed with the pig for over a month and never left the pigs side until we took her to the fair the silkie would not let me catch her and a coon got in the pen and ate her that same night pour suger she was so sweet

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  8. oinkpiggieoink

Dec 11, 2013
    awww :( thats sad, but it is comforting to know that they can get along.

9. CMP1999

CMP1999 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2013
    Tularosa new mexico
    yes it would eat with her and the pig would fill the auto water up so she could drink

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by