Hello! A Michigander!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Drafterz, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Drafterz

Drafterz New Egg

Jan 9, 2013
    Hello,

My name is Kim, I live as close to South and East in Michigan as you can get. I personally don't have chickens, they are supposed to be my 2 nieces, but I care for them and love them all the same. We currently have Standard Cochins ( LOVE the size ) We have Blue, Silver Laced, Partridge and Black Frizzles. They are so laid back an friendly, couldn't imagine another breed [​IMG]

I also have gypsy horses ( aka small draft type ponies with feathered legs ) And we love them to death, so I knew we had to get the same type of chickens LOL They showed them in 4H their first year - last year, the pairs were really young, I think only 4 or 5 months old, but our Blue pair took Reserve Grand Champion. Since then, we gotten serious into culling and trying to better our flock.

My sister ( niece's mom ) LOVES the chickens to death, is constantly worried about them and fussing with them, which the chickens adore of course. We call her our "Mother Hen" She's so funny, bringing out warm oatmeal on cold days and giving them yummy left overs.

I just started hatching from our own eggs, which is so cool from our own chickens, and I'm finding it pretty darn cool! I don't know how people stop? It's totally addicting worrying about temps and humidity LOL Now that our first batch is hatched and did well, I'm so ready to try another [​IMG] and it's killing me not to go grab a ton of our eggs again and start all over..

We do have some 'quality' eggs coming from another breeder who shows, so getting excited about that, but hard not to just throw some of ours in again while we wait.. Heheheee

I've been a lurker for a long time and thought I'd better join, whenever we have questions, this is the first place we search, such wonderful information and helpful people..

So just wanted to say, "Hey!"

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    [​IMG] Hi Kim!!! [​IMG] Glad you joined this awesome forum!! [​IMG]

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

4. chickenpooplady

chickenpooplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Ohio
    My Coop
    [​IMG] from Highland County Ohio and God Bless!!!

5. mikewoods

mikewoods Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2013
    Auburn Hills, MI
    Another Michigander here- Hi from Auburn Hills!

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hi, Kim, they may be your nieces' chickens, bu you are addicted. [​IMG] Welcome to BYC.

7. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!!
    [​IMG]
    Glad you joined us!!!

8. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D
    I so prefer Michigander to michiganian

9. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

10. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and [​IMG]! Great to have you aboard! Best of luck to you and your birds!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by