Hello, a real NH chick here!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chickNH, Aug 3, 2013.

1. chickNH

chickNH New Egg

Aug 3, 2013
    NH
    Hi all, just posting a brief intro to the forum. I've got a lot to learn but my hope is to add a small flock of 4 bantam silkies to my life soon! I know it's late in the year but I'm hoping to get started while the weather is still pleasant. Any suggestions on great places to buy a coop or the bantam silkies themselves would be most appreciated! I look forward to learning and contributing once I get more up to speed!

2. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome!

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Happy you joined!

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] I believe in the US the only silkies are bantams. UK has large fowl. There are several dedicated silkie threads - and would be a good place to ask about birds for sale.

You could put "Silky thread" in the search box. There are also silkies offered on BYC's Buy,sell,trade forum but, you need to have 20 pots in order to participate. If you go to "where am I, where

are you, you can locate and post on your state thread. You might find local people selling silkies.

You do have to understand that silkies are hard to sex - most breeders cannot sex them before 4-5 mos. old So if you buy straight run or young chicks, you could very well end up with a lot of roosters.

Generally the premade coops are pretty to look at - expensive, but not very durable . NH has it's own special climate which has to be taken into consideration to get your chickens thru the winter.

5. thudson

thudson Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2013
    Gatesville Texas
    Welcome to the BYC! As far as a small coop with a run your local TRACTOR SUPPLY may have a good coop to fit your needs![​IMG]

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, chickNH, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by