Hello.... ADVICE PLEASEEEEEEEE!!!!!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by FarmerBetty, Dec 29, 2012.

1. FarmerBetty

FarmerBetty Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2012
    Hello...

Just joined the site and was wondering if anyone has any input on the BEST baby chick ordering sites? I am brand new to "Chickening" as my son says, and would really appreciate any and all advice. I got into the whole chicken thing because I think they are cute, would be fun to keep, and we go through a LOT of eggs. My grandma Betty was OBSESSED with chickens! She had a bazillion porcelain chickens in her house and loved them!!

About where I live:

1. We live in Northern Va. Some snow, hot summers.
    2. We have a LARGE yard, with 6 foot fence surrounding our property.
    3. In the process of buying and setting up a coop.
    4. I am really interested in the following breeds...
    • SILVER LEGHORNS
    • WHITE ROCKS
    • RHODE ISLAND REDS
    • DOMINIQUES

5. We have four children, ages 17, 16, 10, and 8.
    6. We live in the suburbs.

So, please send me your advice and where can I get the best choice of chickens? Should I vaccinate prior to receiving them?

2. iluvpeeps

iluvpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Somewhere
    [​IMG] You could try looking on mypetchicken.com, they have a really big selection of chicks. The only thing that's bad about that site is that they sell out fast.

1 person likes this.
  3. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Ohio...so glad you joined us. I ordered my hatchery chicks from efowl.com and didnt have any problems. I know there are some negative reviews on them tho so maybe others will chime in with some different opinions. Best of luck getting your coop built and getting your new babies

1 person likes this.
  4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] That's a good mix of chickens. Study the hatcheries listed on site and read reviews.

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

2 people like this.
  6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] X 2 Sourland's advice. There is a section on hatcheries and breeders here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/16/chicken-breeders-hatcheries

You've picked some good breeds! I have a Silver Leghorn and she's just lovely. I wish I could get another one, but they are scarce here. I also have a RIR hen, which I'm very happy with. She's a real sweetheart.

If you are completely new to chickens also have a look here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

That section will tell you what you need to know to get started and there's an excellent section on raising chicks.

I believe bigger hatcheries vaccinate their chicks before selling them, but ask them to make sure and ask which vaccine they give. Your local vet or Dept of Agriculture should also be able to advice you. Enjoy your chickens!

2 people like this.
  7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I agree with the above posters so just let me say howdy and [​IMG]! Great to have you here - happy new year!

1 person likes this.
  8. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] from California, I've only ordered from mypetchicken.com, all the chicks arrived alive and well.

1 person likes this.
  9. FarmerBetty

FarmerBetty Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2012
    WOW! So many helpful posts already!!!! I really appreciate all of the input and advice. I have read a lot of books so far, but like I told another "poster" reading about them is a far cry from experience. You cant beat experience and that's why I came here! I am very glad I did! We bought a coop today, and are going to set it up as the weather gets a tad warmer. (mix of snow and sleet this morning). I am open to everyone's opinions and advice. I must say, all of the kindness and hello's really make me more excited about this adventure!!!

THANKS again!

Kelly

10. VentuckyChick

VentuckyChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    So Cal
    Welcome! Get ready for a great adventure. I read up as much as I could before getting my first chickens a year ago, and let me tell ya the books can only prepare you so much. It's a great thing you joined this forum; you will find it extremely helpful as you embark on your chicken adventure!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by