Hello - again

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by bpirockin, Jan 25, 2011.

1. bpirockin

bpirockin Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2011
    I was a member on here I'm sure, previously spangleyt, but it's telling me no, so I must have lost the plot.

Anyway, so here I am as bpirockin, the bpi being a brachial plexus injury acquired in a road accident and meaning that my right arm pretty much no longer works.

I have personally been keeping chickens for about two years now, having fallen in love with the idea after spending time on my Nan's farm in my younger days.
    Initially I had two silkies / chinese bantams - supposedly both hens. One then started doing this thing with its throat and I thought it was choking, but it kept doing it periodically
    and didn't lay even though the other one had started to do so. Then this same 'hen' appeared to get an eye infection so I took it to the vet and got some gunk for it.
    However, it got worse, the neck/throat thing continued and I took it back to the vet, who thought it had a cyst. He suggested I have it put down but I could not make a decision
    on the spot and went away and decided that the poor thing deserved a chance so asked him to operate. He did and discovered it was tumour, told me that it was likely there
    would be more and said it would be kinder not to bring it round. It seems the bird was actually a cock and this 'cancer' or whatever it was had caused an inability to crow, and that
    was what all the neck stretching was about.

So then I was left with a lonely silkie. Couldn't find any others available at the time so I bought three hybrids, and they all settled down right away. Smoky, though the smallest
    holds her own and the only time there is any disturbance in the ranks is after she comes back out after being broody. I've found the best way is to put her in a little run on her own and
    feed her separately for a few days. This seems to elevate her status and she then joins them (sneaking out through a deliberate hole in the corner) once they've watched her eat the
    goodies and then had to share their own. Since I've done it this way I've not had to witness all the bullying/ostracising that was occurring previously. I have thought about getting her
    a couple of smaller companions, but to be honest she seems quite happy with things as they are, and if I did that I know I'd only be worrying about whichever little one was at the bottom of
    the pecking order, and I'd rather they had more space.

So, I have

Smoky - a blue grey silkie bantam - big on character
    Maggie, a copperhead cross - great layer and very friendly and fast - she's always trying to sneak out of their pen
    Etta - a light Sussx cross - big bird who really wants to fly and flaps her way across distances like a plane too heavy to take off, fairly reliable layer, loves fruit and veg - has odd pupils at the moment
    Bluebell - gorgeous great Bluebell chicken, has hormonal problems and is not a great layer as a result, have had 3 eggs in one day, 1 hard and two soft, watched the third slide out as she
    walked around. I love her for this, poor thing, but she is the only one I regularly see chasing little Smoky - maybe it's her hormones!. In the old place they often lay together sunbathing, or in the cold
    Smoky used to snuggle almost under her.

So that's them.

I also have two parrots - African greys, one boy, one girl, who started plucking about 4 years ago after laying eggs. The female has since stopped plucking herself but still has a go at his feathers and he
    does his own now, though they are growing back at the moment they are 'baby' and fluffy feathers rather than good ones. They are still living at my old home, but will be across here in the next few
    weeks where life will be much better/more interesting for them so hopefully I will be rid of my oven-ready freddys very shortly. They're not all that bad now, just rather scruffy, but they really were.

I also have a Hungarian Vizsla called Amber, who's great. If the chickens make a fuss she wants to chase them, but generally speaking she just wants to stick her nose right in there and have a lick.
    She's very good really, and though she would not hurt them with her mouth I try and keep them apart because obviously she could do damage just by treading on them wrong in her delightfully excitable
    manner.

I was absolutely astounded when my brother's staffy cross decided to jump the fence into the pen, I was ready to pounce, but he had no interest in them whatsoever, just wanted to be in their area and found a way in.
    As far as we know he'd never even seen a chicken before, and he presumably thought them rather dull! I got him out of course because the chickens were unsurprisingly rather wary, but at least that's one
    thing I don't have to panic about when he visits again.

I now live in Sandhurst in Kent, not sure it's for me, lovely though it is. During the summer there aren't enough places to let the dog run without first getting into the car, and with the price of fuel I'd rather not.

Anyway, that's them and me.

Hello (again?) everyone.

Tricia

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG]

3. bpirockin

Jan 25, 2011
    Quote:A real mini zoo then? Sounds great.

T

4. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    Welcome back!

5. bpirockin

Jan 25, 2011
    Quote:Thanks Turney31

6. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    so you're in England? Welcome back! [​IMG]

7. bpirockin

Jan 25, 2011
    Quote:Yes indeed, but couldn't see a way to get that with my details - Kent - The Garden of England.

Many of you seem to be in the States, is it a U.S. site?

8. 3goodeggs

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    yes, it is a State site, but there are people from all over the world here. A bunch in England, well UK- Scotland counts that way right? Philippines, Australia, Romania, South America, Central America, Canada... when they get chickens on the space station, we can call this site,"Out of this world." [​IMG]

I have some friends in England so I remember some of the post marks.

9. 2441gael

2441gael New Egg

Jan 25, 2011
    I just joined-I love the little yellow chicken you have by your message( I guess it's called an Icon! 2441 gael

10. 3goodeggs

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    Yes, it is an emoticon, called smilies. You can find it next to the smilies right above the message area.
    It says Smilies[more smilies]. click on the blue print and a whole world of smiles, chickens and dancing rabbits will open up to you.
    Welcome to BYC 2441!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by