Hello all coop question

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by kthysmth65, Apr 2, 2017.

1. kthysmth65

kthysmth65 New Egg

Apr 2, 2017
    I have 7 little ones still in the house and I'm looking at,a very nice hand made 3ft x 4ft coop with 4 nest boxes I have a 10 x 16 run will this coop be ok for housing and winter care

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    :welcome!

That coop would be too small. You need 4 square feet per bird in your coop. So for seven birds you need a minimum of 28 square feet. This coop only has 12 square feet. It could only hold 3 chickens.

1 person likes this.
  3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    2 people like this.
  4. wamtazlady

wamtazlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Kalispell MT
    I have to agree with Pyxis. That coop is way too small. For 7 chickens you'd need just 2 nesting boxes. They try to make those coops you buy at the store appear to be great with all those nesting boxes. I bought a coop at the local feed store at the beginning. Quickly realize it would not do for winter as it was too small and lacked ventilation to keep moisture from pooing and breathing out of the coop. A friend graciously supplied the labor to build a coop for me.

Welcome to BYC!!!

1 person likes this.
  5. kthysmth65

kthysmth65 New Egg

Apr 2, 2017
  6. kthysmth65

kthysmth65 New Egg

Apr 2, 2017
    That was an excellent quite informative article thank you

7. ninjawesome

ninjawesome Currently being awesome Premium Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Wild, Wild West
    Hello and [​IMG]! That'd probably be too many nesting boxes and too little interior space.

8. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

I hope you can figure out a way of increasing your coop size.

Best of luck!

9. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under kthysmth65 [​IMG] Welcome!

As you have already received some great advice, I will just wish you all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. Even if you have identical nest boxes, the hens usually prefer one or two- and will wait in line to use them. If they can't wait, they will often climb in on top of the present occupant and lay an egg on her. That's chickens for you [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by