Hello all, I am new to this Forum and New to chickens ps. I am English and In Eastern Poland o

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Dreadnought, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Dreadnought

Dreadnought New Egg

Jan 26, 2014
    Hello all just an intro, I am Steve and English my wife Dorota, is Polish but had lived in England for 30 years, we moved to Eastern Poland 5 years ago to retire to a small farm and have kept chickens for about a year and a half. 2 winters..... the last of which went down to -38 Celcius, I built a double walled, insulated chicken coop so we have had no problems with frostbite. In future I will encourage my wife to communicate...the chickens are really her project. We have some 25 Hens and a Cock or rather we had a cock.....the chickens range from two new hens (we think one is a cock because he/it tries to mount the other hens whereas her sister does not) 2 were hatched from a clutch of five under a broody hen. These two would be 5 months old now. Our problems have not been great, we have lost 4 hens to the local scourge (Not foxes - we have two large German Shepherds which keep any foxes well away (or dead in the case of two interlopers) But we do have 'kuna' (Central European Pine Marten which are slim enough to get through our doubled up deer fences ....The dogs have killed one so far......the others grabbed hens and half pulled them through the fence and chewed the bits they could reach through the fence) and of course large Eagle sized Red Buzzards which have taken one hen.....(speculation...the half eaten Hen body was on the ground in a brake of thin silver birch trees on fresh snow with no tracks leading to or from the body) Day before yesterday we noticed that our Cockerell (no idea how old he was, but he was a clean healthy bird with bright red feathers and a green tail, proud red comb and wattles he still had his spurs even...he was given to us last year because he was in a hen house with another cock and kept getting into fights with the other younger cock). Well he was on the perch standing tall but his comb seemed brighter than ever, his neck feathers seemed wet as did his comb and whole head, as if he were sweating profusely, there was some blood on one claw and splashes of blood all over the hen house as if a big fight had gone on, but we heard no noise, we normally would, but no other hen or the lone turkey we have showed any signs of blood on them...or distress of any kind, by yesterday he was down on the perch and still all wet about the head and shoulder feathers......this morning he was on the floor on his side......I put him in one of the nesting boxes but by this afternoon he had fallen from the box....still warm but lifeless. No other hen shows any signs of illness. Is this something that may affect my wife's whole flock? They are giving about 15 eggs a day......every day...all are well fed and look very healthy, they are all hardy birds bred here in eastern Poland. I hope to contribute and am happy to answer any questions that any of you might ask of me....or rather I hope my wife will contribute also.

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

I am sorry for your losses do to predators. These things do happen. But I have no clue about your rooster. You might want to post this question in the emergency section here of the forums for some ideas as how to treat him. However if this were my bird, I would separate him out from the others for a few days, in a area you can observe him in attempts to diagnose this ailment. There should be other symptoms you can find that can help lead you to the causes I would think.

Here is the link the emergency section of BYC...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

Good luck with your rooster, and all of your flock. :)

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

4. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

It is hard to say about your rooster - hopefully your hens will stay healthy.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hello, Steve and Dorota, welcome to BYC.

6. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright [​IMG] great to have you onboard with us [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    One Rooster and 25 hens where do I sigh up [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    That is a lot of hens for one Rooster, did he work himself
    into this state of affaires [​IMG]

[​IMG]

What kind of chickens do you have there in Poland [​IMG]

gander007 [​IMG]

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Is it possible for you to take his body to the vet, who may be able to discover what killed him?

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sorry about your losses.

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by