Hello all, need help new to raising silkies from Australia

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by playfulzoe, Feb 8, 2013.

1. playfulzoe

playfulzoe New Egg

Feb 8, 2013
    Hi, I am new owner of 2 silkie girls ( I'm hoping) and a silkie bantam rooster, I got them about 3weeks ago. My kids want to know when they will start laying and hatching I don't know how old they are the breeder I got them from said they will start to lay in about a month.

I am not sure what to look signs to look for they still look young and I read that some silkies don't lay for a year or so. If any one got some advice it would be much appreciated.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, playfulzoe, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our flock! I have no had silkies so I can't advise but below is a link to the silkie thread - lots of people with a passion for silkies - they should be able to give you more definitive information if you post your question. Good luck!!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/297632/silkie-thread

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] The thread Redsoxs linked for you will answer your questions, I'm sure. I know Silkies are adorable, but tricky little things! I cannot sex them to save my life LOL They do tend to go broody more often than most breeds, so if you want them to hatch chicks you probably won't have a problem.

4. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Ohio....so glad you joined BYC. Some of my silkies started laying around 6-7 months old. Some are more than a year old now and still have not started laying. The thread redsoxs posted is a great place to see pictures which may help you determine age and sex. Good luck to you on hatching

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Check out the silky thread provided by redsoxs. With silkies be patient. Once they start laying they will most likely go broody so be prepared to enlarge your pens. [​IMG] Welcome to BYC.

6. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

7. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!!!
    [​IMG]
    Glad you joined us!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by