Hello all, new from Colorado

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by myfunnybirds, Oct 6, 2012.

1. myfunnybirds

myfunnybirds New Egg

Oct 6, 2012
    I live in Colorado and have eight funny hens! I have a question for those of you that are more experienced. I have a small bantam Frizzle who is moulting and has started getting cold here. I have read that you should not isolate the chickens but I don't want her to freeze either.
    What is the best thing to do for her until her new feathers come in?
    Thank you,
    Jeff

2. jbirds2012

jbirds2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2012
    paicines, ca.
    [​IMG]
    i had chickens when i lived in Kansas, they never froze. i would make sure their water don;t freeze and keep their feeder full

3. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    [​IMG] If she starts looking like she is cold maybe you would have to isolate her. You could put her in a dog cage and coner it with a towel at night maybe. That may keep the chills away. Do you use a bulb for heating the coop."?

4. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    Hello Jeff. Welcome to BYC from "The Rolling Hills" of Kentucky. Folks have posted good answers to your question. One remedy to keep in mind is if you see any signs of frost bite rub some petroleum jelly on the frizzles comb and wattles. This will help to keep frost bite away. Follow the advice given from others and I think everything will be fine. I did see a video once titled Tiny Tim's New Coat on Youtube! It was funny, the owner made her tiny frizzle rooster a coat for winter. Best of luck to you and your flock!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  5. myfunnybirds

myfunnybirds New Egg

Oct 6, 2012
    Thanks for the reply. Funny you should mention a coat. I thought about that myself! I thought about a small dog coat and cutting out holes for her wings! Not sure she would like it. She seems fine so far. She does go into the coop at different times during the day. I guess the best thing to do is just watch her and worst case, put her in the garage pen if she get too cold.
    Thanks again,Jeff

6. myfunnybirds

myfunnybirds New Egg

Oct 6, 2012
    I do have a coop she can get into and there is a heat source (usually just at night) She likes to be out with the "big girls!" She seems to be ok but the cold has to be getting to her bare spots! I will just isolate her in the small pen in the garage if needed.

7. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

8. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    :frow & :welcome from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

9. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

It is unlikely to be cold enough to endanger your bird. Many birds moult this time of the year, and do just fine. Let her stay in with the other birds where she can snuggle in at night.

10. Big A Chickens

Big A Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Palmetto, Georgia
    Hi and[​IMG] So glad you joined us!!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by