Hello All! New here ~ Question

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by PawPrntz, Jan 25, 2017.

1. PawPrntz

PawPrntz New Egg

Jan 25, 2017
    Hello all! Glad to join the group! My one cochin has poop on her butt feathers. The poop seems to be normal, not diarrhea like....she doesnt seem tp arch her back like the other 3 do. Will it hurt her if i trim too close to the root of her feathers? I don't want to hurt her of course. I have read other sites saying to pull them out.....OUCH not doing that!
    Thank you for any and all replies! [​IMG]

2. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under PawPrntz [​IMG] Welcome!

I have a couple of Pekins [bantam Cochins] whose fuzzy butts can get a little poop-dirty and I just pop them in a bath. They seem to enjoy the soak and the poops are then easily removed, no pulling of feathers required.

However, I live in Aus with a warm to hot climate and do not recommend a bath if your temps are cold; unless you do this inside and blow dry her afterwards.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree with Teila re: bathing and using a dryer. Afterwards you might want to clip feathers short around her vent so she stays cleaner.

1 person likes this.
  4. DavisL

DavisL New Egg

Jan 25, 2017

5. DavisL

DavisL New Egg

Jan 25, 2017
    It really depends on what time of the year it is, don't pluck it's feathers though then it won't let you even near it. But yes you can cut it be careful if it's cold don't do it as that is its protection but if it warm go ahead!

6. PawPrntz

PawPrntz New Egg

Jan 25, 2017
    Thank you for responding. My main concern here is does it hurt them to cut feathers as close to the vent as possible without cutting the skin of course? We are new to this chicken thing. Lol. And I didnt know if their feathers are say like a cats claws where if you cut too short it hurts and they will bleed. Now that I typed that out and reread it , it sounds like a silly question or something I should know already. I hope you all don't think I am stupid. Or under-educated. Thanks again!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  7. DavisL

DavisL New Egg

Jan 25, 2017
    No do not think that we all have our newbie times! No but you will be absolutely fine cutting it's feathers mine loose feathers all the time and thy never seem to bother. I it's something you are worried it might run away I think the bet way to keep them calm is treats! You can look up easy ones to make yourself or buy them at the store.

1 person likes this.
  8. PawPrntz

PawPrntz New Egg

Jan 25, 2017
    Thank you! And thankfully our cochins don't mind being handled. We have handled them since they were a few days old. They are quite calm and relaxed.

9. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

One of my birds always had a poop problem and I clipped her feathers close to help keep her cleaner (bathing wasn't always an option). It didn't harm her and she got used to it and didn't mind. Do be very careful though...I used a pair of blunt-nosed scissors so she didn't get poked with a sharp end during clippings.

Good luck and thanks for joining BYC!

10. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and [​IMG]! Great to have you aboard! Looks like you've received lots of good advice so I'll just say best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by