Hello all newbie from South Western N.Y. State

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by koopmaster, Mar 25, 2016.

1. koopmaster

koopmaster Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2016
    Olean, N.Y.
    My family and I are new to raising chickens. We have been talking about it for a few years, finally took the plunge! My wife, youngest daughter, and I were at TSC today and as luck would have it we picked up 6 Isa Brown chicks. We are interested in getting eggs for our own use, and these are as I understand a good breed for that! I am glad I found this forum, and have already been looking thru the plans and ideas on coop builds. The chicks are currently in a tote in the house.[​IMG]

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and [​IMG]- great to have you join us and congrats on your new chicks! Better get that coop started -they grow so quickly.

The Learning Centre is a great resource, even for experienced chicken keepers - loads of info on anything chicken. https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Also this link may be useful

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/getting-started-raising-chickens

Joining your state thread will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area, which can be helpful (just type the name of your state in the search box).

All the best
    CT

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    congratulations on your new chick family. They grow very fast and will probably need a larger brooder (more floor space) very soon. Also a wire cover, they try flying early.

1 person likes this.
  4. koopmaster

koopmaster Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2016
    Olean, N.Y.
    thanks, its funny you mentioned wire cover too. Immediately after I posted that pic, one of our curious indoor cats came to investigate! so I used some 2x4 steel wire fence I had "in stock" to makea cover!! that was the tote I found first, when we got home with the "girls" We plan today to get them into a larger tote. I am going to begin my design and build of my 4'x8' tractor today... good thing I am a pack RAT and don't throw nothin out!!!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
  5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by