Hello all! No more lurking, looking for breed suggestions.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Flybynite, Jan 26, 2015.

1. Flybynite

Flybynite New Egg

Nov 29, 2013
    Hello Chicken-friends! I've been lurking for some time now, reading and learning, waiting for the opportunity to raise my own chickens. And its here! Well, in the building stages, anyway. I've wanted chickens for years, and now we (my very patient husband and I) are in the planning stages of my very own chicken house (chicken tractor, actually, long story). The base structure is going to be a re-purposed boat trailer, the resulting structure 8x10, with pasturing below. My concern is this: I would like larger birds, however, the 4 crossbars (3" wide) on the trailer are 16 inches from the ground. The actual floor will be closer to 26 inches from the ground, allowing for quite a bit more head space. So, suggestions, recommendations on breed types that would be amenable to this type of environment? I'm in southwestern pa, closer to the mountains (I can see it snowing on the ridges today), but with mostly open acreage (the wind blows). I'm planning on six hens, no chicken math, and would like eggs, but they don't need to be prolific layers. Thank you all ahead of time or your thoughts and experience!

2. Xephyr

Xephyr Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2014
    Oregon
  3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I'm always reluctant to suggest breeds because there are so many great ones. My fear is that many of them will end up disappearing along with their valuable genetics as people all flock to the common breeds like silkies, orpingtons, australorps, plymouth rocks, stars, etc..

I recommend you peruse these 2 great breed selection charts.

http://www.albc-usa.org/documents/chickenbreedcomparison.pdf

http://www.sagehenfarmlodi.com/chooks/chooks.html

The floor height shouldn't be a problem nor will the cold. Just make sure it's predator proof, especially at night. That means no opening of over a half inch. Good ventilation with windows covered with hardware cloth.

Most newbies first mistake is trying to protect their birds from cold and in doing so, limit ventilation thereby possibly killing them.

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. A lot of us were lurkers before joining. :eek:) Murray McMurray has an excellent "chick selector" tool at https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/chick_selector.html to help you determine the best breed for you. Just be sure and click on "show more characteristics." Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting your flock.

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined us.

One breed that I would recommend would be the Wyandotte. I've had great success with mine, as they have been hardy, docile, and very good layers.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

7. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

and x 2 to Chicken Canoe's great post above!

8. Book Em Danno25

Book Em Danno25 Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined us!

There are many wonderful breeds of chicken. However, I particularly recommend Wyandottes, Australorps, Orpingtons, and Easter Eggers. All of those breeds tend to be hardy, productive egg layers.

10. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by