Hello All, Well I really took a plunge!

GertieGoose

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 30, 2014
Hello,

I am Elly from southern Washington State, I have always wanted the farm life since gathering eggs at Grandmas. I found a quiet little place on 5 acres and settled down. I did homework on what type of chickens I wanted and and settled with RIR and Barred Plymouth Rocks, and ended up with 4 RIR, 5 BPR, 2 Whyndotts, 2 Americaunas, 3 Silkies, 1 odd ball who knows rooster, 2 Kakie Campbell Runners and 5 geese! of course I keep the geese, ducks and chicken separate. If i separate the ducks from the geese they all scream at me! They cuddle and flock together. (knock on wood I have not lost one yet) They have all become therapy for me, and are very calming. My 2 cats are curious about the chickens but do not bother them, and my little dog and rooster goof around. (I make sure that it is goofing and not fighting or taunting). I spend more time outside with animals then I do inside. I even planted veggies that I do not eat but I would like to treat my feathered friends. I plan to allow them to free range, and free choice on their food as soon as they are a bit older. I am here to keep on learning how to care for them, I have discovered what paste butt was early, and without realizing that it was an issue took the little girl inside cleaned her up and quickly with warm water and put her back in the brooder box, where the problem didn't occur again thankfully. I am thinking that it may have been the ride home stressed her out a little, or a temperature change between dinner and bed time when I discovered that the heat lamp had gone out. I check on them when I first get up when the coffee is going, then before work, after work, dinner, and just before bed. On nights that I have school my mother goes up there and plays with them and checks on them, it has become our farm.

:welcome! I too have ducks, geese and chickens, with some guineas thrown in too. Mine all live together in the same coop. We would love to see some pictures!

images

Welcome to BYC!

And congrats on your new home! Nothing better than a couple of acres with lots of poultry!

Yes, they can get pasty butt from stress, dehydration and temp changes. But you did good and got the little guy right back on track.

Enjoy your new babies! You have a wonderful assortment of breeds. Very friendly and great layers too. Welcome to our flock!

Thank you everyone! Really glad to be here! Quick question, I am wanting to make a small pond "burried kiddy pool" with some plants around it for better shade, more eye pleasing, and better quality of the geese and ducks. Would hostas be a danger to them? I know animals know how to avoid eating things poisonous to them, but I think mine are a little special, maybe mixed with goat, lol they got into the fire pit last night and was eating some odd stuff.

Back
Top Bottom