Hello all you chicken lovers!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jordiemann, Oct 2, 2016.

1. jordiemann

jordiemann New Egg

Oct 2, 2016
    Hi, my name is Jordie. I live in the State line of Kansas and Colorado, just inside Colorado. (The property line where the girls are is the State line!)

We have about 30-40 birds of several breeds. They all get along well. We have a large coop and run and they share it with some geese police and a few ducks. I've got the run outfitted with several night lights and a hot wire running along the bottom. Plus, we have chicken wire lining the bottom that is folded at the bottom into the yard. We live amongst the coyotes and foxes and we have dogs so all the protection is needed. I need to put a net on top though to protect against the owl and hawk migration.

We are winterizing the coop and yard today, scooping the poop in the yard and house. I am bringing in sand for the floor and outside as well by the house to help with drainage and rodent control.

Thanks for all the information. I consistently find myself looking up various questions and I'm grateful as are my girls (I'm sure) that you all are out there.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hello from Kansas, Jordie, and :welcome. Great to have you in our community! Glad I'm not the only one around who has predators! It's a constant struggle. :rant If you'd like to chat with locals you can find your state thread in this link https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you
    Best wishes and have fun with your flock!

3. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

4. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    :welcome

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Nice to meet you Jordie, thank you for joining us at Backyard chickens

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by