Hello all you poultry lovers,

mydogBriggs

In the Brooder
Sep 25, 2018
My poultry experience started 2 and a half years ago. I started with 3 Buffs 2 of which turned out to be roasters, and 3 red sexlink. The roasters ended up in the crockpot as they were very zealous about doing their job and jumped my grandson one too many times. The female is by far my favorite so far. Suprizingly all the 2 and a half year olds are still laying.
Spring of 2017 4 Perkins and a pair of Rouens joined the flock. The ducks pull on my heart strings but are too skittish for my liking. I’m heart sick when one is sick or injured. Ducks are very entertaining and fun. As unfriendly as they are still there’s a connection.
Being a retired nurse and empty nester animal have taking the place of kids and patience. We just finished turning the old delapidated shed into a nice duck/chicken house.
The 2 sexlinks rule the roast and have picked on the one Buff to the point she earned the name Nervious Nelly. Looking back I would preferred to have started with all Buffs but I didn’t want to take the chance of having all roasters.
In August we added 4 White Leg Horns, so my husband want know whether he is eating fresh eggs or store bought, and 4 Barred Rocks that I’m wondering are truest Barred Rocks.
The biggest challenge so far has been keeping water and eggs from freezing in winter. If anyone had advice please share your wealth of knowledge.
Back Yard Chickens comes up when I turn to the enternet for problem solving efforts.

1545372-29d55a822a316330dc5e32c60bbd0532.jpg.gif
My poultry experience started 2 and a half years ago. I started with 3 Buffs 2 of which turned out to be roasters, and 3 red sexlink. The roasters ended up in the crockpot as they were very zealous about doing their job and jumped my grandson one too many times. The female is by far my favorite so far. Suprizingly all the 2 and a half year olds are still laying.
Spring of 2017 4 Perkins and a pair of Rouens joined the flock. The ducks pull on my heart strings but are too skittish for my liking. I’m heart sick when one is sick or injured. Ducks are very entertaining and fun. As unfriendly as they are still there’s a connection.
Being a retired nurse and empty nester animal have taking the place of kids and patience. We just finished turning the old delapidated shed into a nice duck/chicken house.
The 2 sexlinks rule the roast and have picked on the one Buff to the point she earned the name Nervious Nelly. Looking back I would preferred to have started with all Buffs but I didn’t want to take the chance of having all roasters.
In August we added 4 White Leg Horns, so my husband want know whether he is eating fresh eggs or store bought, and 4 Barred Rocks that I’m wondering are truest Barred Rocks.
The biggest challenge so far has been keeping water and eggs from freezing in winter. If anyone had advice please share your wealth of knowledge.
Back Yard Chickens comes up when I turn to the enternet for problem solving efforts.
farmer connie 5765775.jpg

hhal2018.gif

I

usually just check eggs often and collect them so they don't freeze :)

Back
Top Bottom