Hello All!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by cdlord, Apr 7, 2016.

1. cdlord

cdlord Just Hatched

Apr 7, 2016
    Ok, second time typing this book....

First of all, great website. Lots of good info.

I am looking to have 4-5 chickens for fresh eggs and perhaps.. man I really don't want to retype this out again.....

I live in Aurora Colorado in an area where I can have chickens.

How stout do I need to build the coop? Insulation, electricity, running water? Just so they don't overheat in the summer and don't freeze in the winter. They give me eggs, i give them a good life. I have a 6'x10' area set aside for this on the east side of my house. Backyard free range isn't an option. I should have enough area for a coop and run. Should the area be 50/50 or more like a smallish coop with a large run? Thanks.
    [​IMG]

2. chicklover 1998

chicklover 1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    if you are going to contain them in a run the run has to be a min of 10 sq. feet per bird. The coop has to have about 4 sq. ft per bird inside otherwise you run into pecking issues, insulation is a personal choice, if you want to run heat lamps or a heated waterer you will need electricity, you can run water out but if you do it will have to be lower than the frost line I don't want to do that much work so I haul the water out of the house I would make a 20 sq. foot coop and a 50 sq. foot run so a 5 foot wide coop by 4 feet long and have a five foot wide run by 10 foot long the footprint would be about 14X5.

3. cdlord

cdlord Just Hatched

Apr 7, 2016
    Thanks!

I have 60(ish) sq/ft available and if my math is right, 4 chickens is just right. A 16 sq/ft coop and 40 sq/ft run. Inside the coop I was reading about the nesting/roosting areas. How high does the interior of the coop need to be? I was hoping to elevate it on stilts to add to my run sq/ft and have an "open" weather shelter underneath for the food/water and shade.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I just replied to your other post.

5. cdlord

cdlord Just Hatched

Apr 7, 2016
    Yes, thank you. I asked a mod to close this thread down since the other one isn't lost like I thought it was.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by