Hello all

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Walkoff15, May 24, 2016.

1. Walkoff15

Walkoff15 New Egg

May 24, 2016
    First time chicken owners. My son got 15 Rhode Island Reds for Easter. Have them a 8 long by 8 wide by 8 tall coop built with a 8x16 run. They don't seem like they like to come out much during the day and seem to come out more in the later evening. I leave the heat lamp off during the day but put it on when the sun goes down and they make a mad dash into the coop. Anyone else's chickens do this? Just wondering

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us. The age of the chicks is a key factor here - young chicks (up to around 6 weeks old, depending on climate) need additional warmth, thereafter they do not. You could post on the "managing your flock" forum for further advice.

Its not related, but the coop seems a little small for so many birds (at least when they reach adulthood). The broad recommended minimum coop space is 4sqft per bird, roost space 1ft. For a run its 10sqft per bird. The greater the space you can give your flock, the less stressful and contented they will be.

All the best
    CT

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us! CTKen gave you some good advice. Enjoy your flock!

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by