Hello all!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by KOchickens, Feb 25, 2017.

1. KOchickens

KOchickens New Egg

Feb 25, 2017
    Fresno, CA
    Just got our new family members, 4 Buff Orpingtons, yesterday. We've been planning and preparing for this, for roughly 4/5 years now. So, as you can imagine, we're pretty excited! I do organic gardening in my backyard area, along with lots and lots of composting. Chickens seemed like just a natural extension of that. I can't wait for some natural pest and weed control, eggs will be a welcome bonus though. And, I'm glad to have a great resource like this, with a huge family of backyard chicken owners, to turn to. For all of the help, I'm sure you will give me in the future, I thank you greatly.

There are four of us in the family, and four chickens, so we all got to pick a name. My kids each named theirs Ginger and Strawberry Float Ice Cream Boat (which I'm sure will end up being just Strawberry), both fitting names. My wife and I, in honor of getting them on national Twin Peaks Day (a show we LOVE), have named them Agent Dale Cooper, and Shelly. Also, quite fitting.

I do have a question though. In regards to those bands that go around the ankles, good/no good? We are thinking of getting them to help with telling them apart (which I'm sure won't be a problem in time), and in case they get out of the yard, they'll have a number on them.

Happy to be a part of the flock,
    Kyle

1 person likes this.
  2. TattooedChicks

TattooedChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2017
    Kansas City
    [​IMG]

I know I saw a post about that question the other day here recently, I'll try to find it. But the general consensus seems to be 3-4 months of age, and they need to be checked regularly to make sure the bands aren't getting too tight or causing other irritations/ injuries. Non-toxic markers can be used to mark the heads of light colored chicks until then to help tell them apart while they grow up.

Good luck and congrats on the babies!

3. KOchickens

KOchickens New Egg

Feb 25, 2017
    Fresno, CA
    I forgot to add that they are about 12 weeks old, all pullets.

4. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    I use zip ties on some of my chicks. No matter what you want to keep an eye on them and not be lazy about taking them off/changing them out as needed. They don't cause a constriction over night, but don't keep putting it off. Night time is the easiest time to catch them and do bands.

5. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Kyle [​IMG] Welcome!

Thank you for a great introduction .. I love the chickens names!

Sorry, I have no experience with leg bands; not really needing them with a flock of 5 pet bantams who do not look alike and who have their own little chickenalities.

Best wishes to you, your family and your flock .. have fun!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Nice to meet you Kyle, glad you joined us at Backyard chickens. [​IMG]

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Kyle, and [​IMG]! Great to have you in our community! I have been thinking about using the leg bands myself - not for breed identification as much as age. I have various ages of birds and I'm sometimes unsure if some of the ladies are still in production. Best wises and thanks for joining BYC!

8. N F C

N F C got coffee? Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Hi Kyle, thanks for joining us!

9. KOchickens

KOchickens New Egg

Feb 25, 2017
    Fresno, CA
    Absolutely! This place is a wealth of information! [​IMG]

10. N F C

N F C got coffee? Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    It really is! Great picture, thanks for sharing it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by