1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello All

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Shannon89815, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Shannon89815

Shannon89815 Just Hatched

Mar 2, 2017
    Hello All BYC Folks,

I just joined the forum and am excited about starting a small backyard flock. I am currently fencing an area that is roughly 1900 sq. ft, divided into two "grazing and pecking" sections that I will rotate the layers between on an every other year schedule. I'm starting with a dozen mixed layers, 4 each of: Americaunas, Barred Rocks, Buff Orpington's and Austrias - at least I hope I get them before they are sold out on the due date into the feed store.

I bought a summer coop the Defender from Tractor Supply that also comes with a 10 x 10 fenced run, which I will place inside my outer fencing mentioned above. During summer I'll build a larger winter coop for when hens need to be inside during bitter temps and snow.

Coyotes and badgers are a problem here so I'm also using hardware cloth, 3' up and bending it out for a 1' skirt under the horse fencing. I think this will prevent predator digging as well as a solar powered flood light. Also keeping a .223 by the back door. Does anyone know how the Nite Guard solar powered red flashing light REALLy works? Reviews were mostly good, but there were a fair amount of nay sayers.

Excited to be having chicky chicks again after more than 25 years! I used to keep a dozen R.I. Reds and loved them!

Thanks and I look forward to hearing great stuff from all.

Shannon

2. ECarter1217

ECarter1217 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2017
    meridian ms
    [​IMG] hi from Mississippi

3. WillGriffin03

WillGriffin03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2016
    Macedon Ranges
    Hi Shannon,

First off Welcome to BYC! If predators are a big problem in your area take the time to peg down the fence at least 25 cm down so no unwanted visitors can get in. Always build a roof but no big deal just some bird netting would be good enough.

Good idea about the gun, you should probably if you're really serious about your chooks consider getting ankle snares.

It's great that you're getting Rir! Make sure to give each bird 3 square metres in their proper run.

Good luck!

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Shannon, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our flock! Best of luck with your new RIRs! [​IMG]

5. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Hi Shannon, it's nice to have you here!

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Very nice to meet you Shannon. Thank you for joining us at Backyard chickens. You may also want to check out the predator threads for more suggestions on keeping the "bad guys" OUT

7. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Shannon [​IMG] Welcome!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by