Hello all!

TishsChicks

Chirping
5 Years
May 29, 2017
Modesto Ca
My Coop
My Coop
I'm a new member of BYC although I've been seeking advice by reading forum posts from this site for almost 2 years. I retired 2 years ago and decided I wanted to raise chickens. I started out with with 9 Rhode Island Red pullets. Now I have 12 Rhode Islands, 3 Morans and a Silky. My silky is a rescue from the county fair petting zoo. This spring I decided, with the help and begging of my 11 year old daughter, to try my hand at chicks. We have 9, 8 week old Ameraucanas. Although, I think I might of ended up with 2 roosters in the bunch and I have one that has a crooked beak. We call her Beaker. I'm super excited about being apart of this site.

Welcome to BYC - so glad you've joined in the fun of being an active member (though lurking and reading/learning is great). Which color type are your Ameraucana?

Welcome to BYC - so glad you've joined in the fun of being an active member (though lurking and reading/learning is great). Which color type are your Ameraucana?

Thank you. I have a couple of red and gray ones, a couple black and tan and a couple light red ones. The one we call Beaker is an off white. She isn't growing like the rest of them.

Does she have a severe cross beak? She may be having trouble eating. Sometimes it helps if you pile up the feed like a mountain, so when she pecks at it, she gets some in her mouth.

There are "crossbeak," support threads maybe you can find them via the searchbox.
The discuss what works for them. It would be good if you posted a photo there, showing the stage of her beak. Some careful trimming might help her.

Does she have a severe cross beak? She may be having trouble eating. Sometimes it helps if you pile up the feed like a mountain, so when she pecks at it, she gets some in her mouth.

There are "crossbeak," support threads maybe you can find them via the searchbox.
The discuss what works for them. It would be good if you posted a photo there, showing the stage of her beak. Some careful trimming might help her.

She definitely has a crossbeak. I noticed the beak looking crooked about a week after I brought her home. That is when I saw she was having difficulty with the crumble. I started making a mash out of it and giving it to her 3 times a day. She eats that very well. She still tries to eat the dry crumble throughout the day too. Here is a photo of her.
IMG_6080.jpg

Back
Top Bottom