Hello all

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by lindasmith587, Apr 27, 2018.

1. lindasmith587

lindasmith587 In the Brooder

Apr 26, 2018
    Hello all,
    I am here for my cousin actually. She and I are very close. She doesn't like to ask or register in the forums, and that is the reason why I am here.
    My cousin, she was thinking of growing a few chickens, in the backyard... So, I am here to get some ideas on that. Her main focus is the eggs and also she wants to grow some fancy chickens too.
    I don't know how to help her, as I am a more like a gardening person. So, here I am to get some suggestions on how-tos and to know what and where to start.
    Thanks all

2. drauntpam

drauntpam In the Brooder

Apr 26, 2018
    I'm new at this too! Have 9 bitties, supposedly all pullets, and they are 5-6 weeks old. They have outgrown their starter brooder and I just built them a new one, but made it too big to fit through the door of the old chicken coop, go figure! So now I'm at a loss.Need to have them in a larger area but just can't move them yet. Here's a pic of them now. I'm glad your cousin is doing a little more research than I did before starting. I started on a whim! IMG_9432.JPG

3. 007Sean

007Sean Enabler

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Howdy :frow

Welcome to Backyard Chickens.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    drauntpam - you are going to need a wire cover over your brooder, those little chicks will be flying to the top soon, if not now. They can fall out and get injured or lost and chilled.

007Sean, Joeschooks and Pork Pie Ken like this.
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Lindasmith Is your cousin close enough to come and see what you bring up on the computer? Otherwise you will have to read all the materials and convey the info to her.
    She could read without being a member, and see what's around. She can also view other materials on BYC without joining but, without membership she cannot post questions.

Honestly there is no obligation at BYC, and none of us bite. At least I don't.

6. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Hello Linda and welcome to BYC

On this link you'll find lots of information on almost every aspect of keeping chickens - from coop building ideas, to incubating eggs - https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/

There’s a link on the page above to the Learning Centre - it’s a great resource. If you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

Each week, various topics are discussed, which can also be a great resource - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive

You can use this link to contact members in your area - Find Your State Thread

Best wishes

Pork Pie

007Sean and Joeschooks like this.
  7. drauntpam

drauntpam In the Brooder

Apr 26, 2018
    Thanks Drumstick Diva! Yes, I have already had to fish one out from under a chiffarobe! I am in the process of building a bigger brooder. Finished it tonight, but made it 3'x3' so can't get through the door of the "tool shed" my Dad used, which appears to have been originally built as a chicken coop. I had intended to put it there, but no go, at least for a little while until I clear out enough floor space and may have to disassemble some of it also.

8. lindasmith587

Apr 26, 2018
    This I can show to her, thanks for the picture...

9. lindasmith587

Apr 26, 2018
    Thank you all for the welcome...

10. lindasmith587

Apr 26, 2018
    I did try to talk her into taking an account. But no, didn't work out. So, this is me trying to help her. She has always been supportive of me. So, yeah, I want to do the same.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: