Hello All!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by richchix, Mar 2, 2014.

1. richchix

richchix New Egg

Mar 2, 2014
    Greensboro, NC
    New here to BYC and looking forward to learning and sharing info! I currently have13 chickens total most are RIR and I'm currently working on building another coop to separate the reds for breeding. The rooster has been introduced to the hens for about a week now once separated there will be 1 rooster for 6 hens is that a good number and can anyone tell me how long before I should start having fertile eggs? Thank you!

2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    [​IMG] I would think after a week or so you should have fertile eggs.

3. richchix

richchix New Egg

Mar 2, 2014
    Greensboro, NC
    I stopped giving them laying pellets abo
    ut 2 weeks ago and their free range. Should that affect my wait for fertile eggs?

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Why did you stop the layer feed? You want good shells on eggs you expect to be fertile.

5. richchix

richchix New Egg

Mar 2, 2014
    Greensboro, NC
    I had read on some other sites that once you have a rooster the need for laying pellets was no longer needed. I still give them scratch grains and always give them the egg shells I use. To have better fertile eggs should I start them back on layer pellets?

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Laying hens always need layer feed. Laying an egg is quite taxing on a birds system, producing an egg with all the building blocks of life in it. So every time they lay, they need to replace all these vitamins, minerals, amino acids, fatty acids, CALCIUM, etc....When I hen doesn't get enough of these things, she draws it out of her bones, muscle tissue, etc... Layer feed has all these hens need to continue to lay and stay healthy. Always provide oyster shell on the side for those hens that need more. Oyster shell puts a hard shell on the egg and also aids in the contractions to move the egg out of the body.

A roo needs to mate with hens for at least 2 weeks before you will have a good supply of fertile eggs.

Enjoy your flock and welcome to BYC!

7. richchix

richchix New Egg

Mar 2, 2014
    Greensboro, NC
    Thank you for that advice I'm heading today to get some more laying pellets! I have great Birds and want to keep them healthy.

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X2, Laying hens need to be well fed to lay well and stay in good condition, they usually are not going to be able to find enough food free ranging to produce well. I wonder if what you read about was some people do not like to feed roosters Layer feed, and chicks under 18 weeks should not be fed Layer, because of the high amount of calcium in it. A lot of people with a mixed ages flock will feed all their chickens an all-ages or flock raiser type food and have calcium / oyster shell available in a separate container for the laying hens, the chickens that need the calcium will eat it, but the other birds will leave it alone. btw, if you have more than one rooster the hens are with right now, you need to wait about three weeks after separating them out to be sure the rooster they are caged will be the father of the chicks.

9. richchix

richchix New Egg

Mar 2, 2014
    Greensboro, NC
    Good to know! I do have 2 roosters so thanks for that info.

10. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by