Hello all!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Sgt pinky, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Sgt pinky

Sgt pinky New Egg

Aug 19, 2014
    Ontario
    Yet another newbie from Ontario Canada here. Been researching for a little over a month, found this site was the most helpful so i joined up and finally decided to make a chicken tractor ( 4×3 coop with 6x3 run) chickens to come soon. Would it be advisable to get 2 chickens to start or is that too low for a flock? Problem is that I am in the city and I don't want to disturb my neighbours. Thanks for the help!

2. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Greetings from Oregon USA! [​IMG] You might want to check the ordinances where you live to make double-sure you can have your chickens. Two chickens would be fine, but as we all here at BYC know, chicken math has a way of getting out of control!! [​IMG]

Wishing you all the best!

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Iwiw X2 Make sure you can keep them legally first. You don't want to get too involved and find out you have to rehome them. Hens are pretty quiet birds. So as long as you don't keep any roosters, the neighbors shouldn't be too bothered by noise. Hens will cackle after they lay, "the egg song", but for the most part, they are quiet. You might want to start with 3 in case you lose one. It is never good to have just one bird. But 2 does make a flock.

Good luck and if you have any other questions, feel free to ask. Welcome to our flock!

5. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
  6. Stephanie79

Stephanie79 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2014
    Cicero, NY
    I checked the codes before I bought the chickens. LOL. I'm a paralegal so that was my first step. :)

7. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

8. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. I would get at least 3 for the reason that Kelsie2290 gave. Chickens are gregarious birds and like company. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Do you have any particular breed preferences?

9. Sgt pinky

Sgt pinky New Egg

Aug 19, 2014
    Ontario
    Thanks for all the help everyone. Of course I haven't been able to get through to a by law officer all week leaving messages as well. 3 chickens are starting to sound better. Mainly I'm looking at Rhode Island reds and Plymouth rocks are gorgeous.

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by