Hello all!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Tytyvyllus, Oct 18, 2014.

1. Tytyvyllus

Tytyvyllus Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Bremerton, WA
    I've ordered my first coop today and I'm looking forward to setting it up soon and getting some pullet hens. I got a killer deal on the coop at mypetchicken, and almost just signed up for their early november batch of chicks, but managed to restrain my enthusiasm and stick with the plan. When I was younger my adoptive family had about 14 mixed hens and a roo, but I haven't cared for chickens in a long time and am eager to get back to having my own little flock. I'm going to start small for now, with just three hens, since I'll be living in a HOA controlled area for at least another 5 to 6 years. After that, I hope to get a property with maybe 4-5 acres and add goats and several more hens. I want to connect with the other backyard chicken enthusiasts in kitsap county, bremerton/silverdale area washington state, and see about local buy sell trade.

-Ty

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Hi and welcome!!!

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC, Ty. Glad you decided to join our flock. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Do you have any breed preference?

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. To connect with WA. people go to "where am I, where are you," in the social forum, you will locate and be able to post on your state thread. The Washington thread moves fast, so just jump in. Members seem to have a wide variety of breeds, so when you are ready, could probably find what you want locally and not have to ship.

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

So glad you could join our community!

You will want to stop by your state thread and chat with your chicken neighbors....https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/717207/washingtonians-come-together-washington-peeps

Have you stopped by our learning center yet? Lots of helpful tips and hints on raising your new flock...https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Make yourself at home here. If you have any particular questions, feel free to ask. Welcome to our flock!

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    PS a lot of coop sellers boast about how many chickens can fit - most of it is very wishful thinking. Chickens need 4 sg./feet per bird in the cop (not counting roosting poles and nest boxes) and 10 sq.feet per bird in the outdoor run.

If chickens are too crowded, they engage in bullying, feather picking and sometimes even cannibalism. The size recommendations are basic- birds often do better with more generous sizing.

1 person likes this.
  7. Tytyvyllus

Tytyvyllus Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Bremerton, WA
    I like simple breeds, and colorful egg layers. Rhodies, orps, rocks, arucanas in the past. Today I'm thinking maybe olive eggers! Or red stars. I'll probably get two different breeds and taste the rainbow. ;)

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

10. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    If egg production is a priority, Red Stars would be a great choice. Red Star is one of many labels under which some hatcheries market their Red Sex Links, and they are egg laying machines. I've raised them for years (as well as the other breeds on your list), and along with my Black Sex Links, my Red Sex Links (Red Stars) have been my best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 eggs per hen per year. Whatever breeds or hybrids you end up getting, good luck with your flock.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by