Hello All

BugheadNick

Hatching
May 13, 2015
Greeting. This is Nick Malino a.k.a. Bughead. I moved from Manhattan a few years ago to Westport, CT and have am just about to complete the suburban move by finishing up converting an old barn to a chicken coop. Not a big production thing but simply some eggs for the family, so maybe 2-5 birds. I also just adopted two great kids, a 10 y.o. boy and a 3 y.o. girl who are sibs.

I am looking for some gentle chickens (not chicks) that a good with kids and not be too fastidious and that can give us some eggs and be happy. Also, require some sage advice as me and my wife are recovering city-slickers. Would like to get chickens from CT or Westchester/Rockland NY.

Any help would be appreciated

Nick Malino
[email protected]

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! I would start with 5 bird as chickens are very addictive and no matter how many you start with you will want more. Buff orpingtons are a reccomended breed for friendliness and being good with children. I've not kept them myself but have read lots of good things about them. Drop by the where am I where are you section of the forum for others chicken keepers in your area who may be able to help you source some chickens. Here is the link > https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you

Wishing you the very best of luck with your new chicken adventures. Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

Welcome to BYC, NIck. Glad you decided to join our flock. Raising chickens is a wonderful experience for children. My granddaughter (pictured in my avatar) loves our chickens. Where children are involved, I would recommend getting one of the breeds that has a well deserved reputation for being calm and gentle (potential lap pets) such as Australorps, Orpingtons, Brahmas, Silkies, Cochins, Sussex, or Faverolles. If egg production is a priority, Australorps are the best layers on this list, and Silkies and Cochins are the poorest layers (although they are great brooders and mothers). Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Whatever breed you decide to get, good luck with your chickens (and your children). :eek:)

welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined our community!

I hope you can find some nice chickens!

Back
Top Bottom