Hello, America! (and wherever other places)

Quella

Songster
11 Years
Dec 20, 2008
I am Christine who's just recently found out about the awesome world of chickens! And this probably isn't the right forum to ask the right questions on, but since I'm new and part of this has the right topic on, I hope all of you don't mind answering them. First, why do chicken coops seem to double as rabbit hutches. I've been hunting for chicken coops and oddly come up with either a)rabbit hutches b)similar looking chicken coops that appear to be rabbit hutches or c) people who sell them say they actually can be used as a chicken coop or a rabbit hutch. Second of all, my mom says I can have chickens if I save up all the money by the end of this summer, so I'm wondering if I should buy the essentials-feed, coop, feeder, waterer, chickens, and so on . . . and try and save up for medicines for possible sicknesses, handbooks, and so on later, or try and save up overall in a very fast, panicky manner? I do want chickens, and it's okay for me to save up the other money later but if chickens get sick often, will that be a good thing? So do chickens get sick very often, or are they generally pretty hardy? And third, I want to get pullets because if I do get them I'll have to care for them mostly by myself because Mom isn't very keen on them at all, but with schoolwork I don't think I'll have the time to care for baby chicks, and also I don't want a massive amount of chickens roaming the very small backyard, but is getting pullets a good idea? So confused . . .
idunno.gif

Thanks, though!
big_smile.png

Edited by moderation:
8. Do not post your phone number or your age (especially if you are a minor) or any other personal info you don't want the whole world to see.

frow.gif
and
welcome-byc.gif
You came to the right place. There are so many wonderfull people on this forum and always ready to help.
As for your questions. Yes, chicken/rabbit hutches/coops are very versatile for small backyard chickens. If kept warm, dry, and clean...and fed properly, chickens are for the most part very hardy. I have had chickens for many years, and for the most part have avoided illnesses other than the occasional prolaps. ( probably from my keeping them too fat)
As for your mom not really likeing them....well...I say, give her time. She will give in once she sees just how personable they can be. Spend as much time with them as possible, holding them and talking to them and they will love to sit in your lap, and be held. ( depending on the breeds of course Leghorns tend to be flighty)
Dont get your feed, untill you get your chickens. It will depend on if you get chicks, or older chickens....which feed you will need. And, the feed will only keep fresh for a month or so. Build your coop....run...and get feeders and waterers and bedding....and nest boxes. Then....the fun begins! Congrats on your decision to become addicted to chickens!
lau.gif

welcome-byc.gif
!
You've come to the right place to get your questions answered!

Chickens are usually pretty healthy. You might want to start looking for people who are breeders in your area and who can sell you nice healthy ones, or steer you in the right direction! Getting pullets is a grand idea! Have fun looking at all the pictures and deciding what kind to get!

welcome-byc.gif

One of the first things you should consider doing is checking out our BYC Learning Center. You'll find quick answers to all the basic questions that way. Then just "surf" the forum and read, read, read (and ask plenty of questions). People who are new to chickens are always welcome here, so jump into the conversation wherever and whenever you'd like!

Glad to have you here!
frow.gif

I agree with what the other BYCers said. Chickens in general are pretty sturdy, easy and FUN. Get the housing ready as well as containers for food and water. Getting pullets is not a bad idea. You would have the baby stage out of the way and yet have young enough birds, to get them used to being around you. I suggest starting out with maybe three. They keep each other company and are easy enough to manage. Once your mom sees how sweet and fun they are, she'll probably come around.
I had chickens for at least 4 years, before I started to run into health problems that I couldn't deal with on my own. I've only had the fortunate assistance of a knowledgable vet and this forum for the last two years. I managed ok before that. You are allready ahead of the game, by having this forum available to you.
We are here to help you and answer your questions whenever we can.
Welcome to BYC!

welcome-byc.gif
Get the coop, feed, waterers, things like that first. You want to be prepaired when you get your chickens. As far as meds, they are pretty hardy and shouldn't get sick very often. You will learn all you need to know here.

Welcome from Wales, UK.

Again I agree with all the others, and you are in the best place to learn a lot before you even start.

Good luck to you, as soon as you get your girls you will be as addicted as the rest of us and your mum will soon be here with all of us. lol...

Jena.

Back
Top Bottom