Hello and good morning....

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by LauraB, Aug 22, 2011.

1. LauraB

LauraB Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2011
    Chicagoland
    Hi!

I'm new here. I am married with 3 kids, a daughter, 13 and twin boys, 6. I work at a farm, mainly horses, but they also have farm animals like chickens, ducks, pigs, sheep and even a few llamas. All my kids are in the 4-H club there. The boys are in the Cloverbuds so they can't really do animal projects, but my daughter decided to do horses, small pets and poultry.

I got involved and interested in chickens back in May. The day the chicks were to arrive at the post office, the project leader for poultry called to tell me that the chicks were there but because she was at work, needed someone to pick them up. Off I went! Well, 26 chicks, 2 animal cages and 2 heat lamps later, I fell in love!!!

All of the poultry kids got a couple of chickens to raise. My daughter started with 2 partridge cochins, 1 mille fleur d'uccle and 2 rare breed chicks. Since then, we have identified one of the rare chicks as a White Silkie. We are still not quite sure of the other. We also 'adopted' another chick that someone dropped off at the farm when it was just a few days old. We are still trying to figure out what she is too.

My daughter showed the silkie, the d'uccle and one of the cochins at the 4-H county fair in July. She got a red ribbon for her cochin, a blue for her d'uccle and a blue and grand champion for her silkie. Since the fair, we traded some chickens with some of the other kids in the club. We love the d'uccles and now have three, two hens and a rooster. We still have our silkie and the other two 'unknown' chickens, and one cochin.

My husband and daughter built a coop together over the summer for them. Right now we leave them in the coop most of the time, but they have 'yard time' where they run around the yard or enjoy sunning on the patio. We have a dog and he 'likes' the chickens a lot, which is why they don't get to be out all day. The goal for next spring/summer is to build a chicken run so they can be out all day without having to worry about the dog.

I knew nothing about chickens really when they first came. I have learned so much, and still learn new things everyday. I have enjoyed them so much and they have really become part of the family. I look forward to learning more and getting to know fellow chicken lovers!

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    [​IMG]

3. Symphony

Symphony Vanilla, Little Airt Airt

[​IMG]

4. LauraB

Aug 22, 2011
    Chicagoland
    Thank you!

5. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    A big Texas-sized [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Amigo

Amigo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    Your house!
    Greetings from South Carolina! [​IMG] Hope you enjoy it here.

7. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana!

8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    [​IMG] from Kansas, LauraB. [​IMG] Glad you joined the flock! BYC has helped me a lot also on how to take care of my birds! Enjoy! [​IMG]

9. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    Hi and [​IMG] You will find a lot of support and answers to your questions here! BYC is great! [​IMG]

10. LauraB

Aug 22, 2011
    Chicagoland
    Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! There is sooooo much to look at here! I've been on most of the morning. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by