Hello and help with my broody freerange chook

LottePotts

Hatching
6 Years
Jan 6, 2014
Hi Everyone :)

I have been reading through posts and have found lots of very useful info but was hoping that someone could give me some specific advice for my chook problem.

I have 5 chooks that are all free range. 4 of them come home every evening, roost in their coup and lay their eggs in there during the day. At first I thought my fifth chook had died, and I searched for her body but could not find it anywhere. I live on an island where there are no foxes and very few predators that would take chooks so I thought she could have possibly been hit by a car. I could not find a body. On one of my days off work, at midday I saw her (she is called Beryl). She ran, clucking very loudly down the driveway, into the coup, ate and drank for five minutes and then ran out of the driveway, did the biggest chook poo I have seen and then ran into the bush. I was so pleased that Bery was alive. I went into the bush and searched for her but had no luck finding her. This has now being going on for a month. I have tried to catch her but she is so quick and tends to come back to the coup when I am at work, otherwise I'm sure I could trap her in. She doesn't really have a pattern either, she comes at all times of the day, but it seems only once (I only know as I put a little motion sensor camera in the coup to check).

I have managed to follow her a handful of times but then the bush is so thick I lose her. Yesterday I got back from work just as she was exiting the coup and so I ran to where I have seen her go into the bush and hid! I was able to follow her and call her and she clucked, just once and gave her nest away!

I now know where her nest is but I'm unsure what I should do. Should I wait until she is off the nest and collect the eggs? Should I pick her up off the nest (if I can?) and take her back to the coup and trap her in?

Any advice would be much appreciated :)

Thank you very much in advance!

Charlotte

P.S She doesn't get along with the other 4 chooks :(

Last edited:
Hi there,
frow.gif
and welcome to BYC!

I am not a broody expert here, although I do have a coopful of broodies. I just let them do their thing. LOL I hope you get it all worked out with her. There will be others around to welcome you in to BYC here shortly, and maybe they can give you a few pointers.

Great to have you aboard and enjoy BYC!

Welcome to BYC. I would remove her from the nest at night and discard the eggs. Pen her up by herself until she starts to become less 'clucky'. Because of her broody mannerisms the rest of the flock regards her as a stranger. Once you break her broodiness and turn her loose she will have to regain her position in the pecking order.

Thank you for the welcomes and the advice. I'm so glad that I found the nest. I hadn't thought about getting her off at night, I'm sure she will be a lot less hostile. I'm going to give it a go tonight. Thanks heaps, eggcellent advice!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom