Hello and help

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Mrs Flear, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Mrs Flear

Mrs Flear New Egg

Aug 23, 2016
    Hello there, i have 2 little silkies one is called lady cluckalot 1year old and the other is henny penny 7 months old. Lady has just started bullying henny, ive noticed it this last week. They have been together since henny was 1 month old and they got on well. Lady will not let henny eat or stand near her with out chasing her. This morning when I went out to let them out I noticed a lot of feathers in the coop and also Henny's tail feathers have thinned out,I have separate them but I don't know what to do now. Help please [​IMG]

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

If you only have two hens? That is the problem....People have gotten into backyard chickens not knowing that they have a strong pecking order....One is usually pecked on in all flocks because one is at the bottom of the pecking order. I have 11 pullets...The top hen always chases the others away from treats or great finds she or another discovered. With 11 pullets no one gets the brunt of her attacks...They mingle and live in harmony most days.
    Can you add another hen or three?

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
  3. patty922

patty922 Just Hatched

Aug 23, 2016
    WNY
    I only have two as well Easter Eggers but with just the two I can tell who
    Is in charge!

4. Mrs Flear

Mrs Flear New Egg

Aug 23, 2016
    We are in the process of looking for a new house, so unfortunately right now we can't get anymore due to room, but we do plan on getting more in our new house and maybe bringing on some from eggs.

5. chickens really

In order to hatch out eggs you will need a Rooster...The best equation is 10 hens per Rooster as Roosters will over breed your hens...You might find you opened up another can of worms?
    I would try to purchase already sexed pullets and introduce them to the flock...Chickens are easy with a few complications added if your new to Chicken keeping..?

Best of luck.

6. Mrs Flear

Mrs Flear New Egg

Aug 23, 2016
    This is the first time I have owned chickens, I grew up on a farm with chickens but they were all Golden Comets. Hopefully with in the next two to three months we will have our new house and we will be able to get some more chickens

7. chickens really

Yes, and Congrats on the new house....We bought our new place two years ago and I am so happy here...
    Have no worries with your current two hen flock....They know what they are doing...Give them a bit more space to stay away from each other...Chickens are mean.

8. Mrs Flear

Mrs Flear New Egg

Aug 23, 2016
    Hopefully we will get one soon, we are in a little village right now so we can't really have a rooster at the moment. I can't wait until we have more room for them to roam about. Love my little ladies

9. chickens really

I love my crazy ladies too....Silly Birds.......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by