Hello and help!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Jinker, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Jinker

Jinker New Egg

Sep 10, 2012
    Hello from the greater Cincinnati area. I started keeping chickens early this spring and have loved every minute of it. I have a mixed flock bought from a local feed store and everything has been going great. My girls started laying in mid June and had an alltime high day of 13 eggs a couple of weeks ago. Three weeks ago I brought home a rooster, after a week I started noticing some of my girls were sneezing/snorting. After two days most of my girls were doing this and I had one die. Egg production has dropped to about 3 eggs a day. They are still eating very well and are acting pretty normal. However the nazal discharge seems to have gotten worse and they still are sneezing. Only the rooster seems unaffected. I have been reading about diseases and am still not sure what this is. I would appreciate any advice. Just one other note, there has not been any unpleasant odor associated with this nazal discharge. Thanks again from me and my girls.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, jinker, and [​IMG]! Happy you joined. Hey, I'm no chicken doc but it sounds like your rooster brought in something that made your hens sick. I think the best advice I could give is to post over in the Emergencies, Diseases, Injuries & Cures forum. There are some real helpful folks over there that can give you great advice. Best of luck to you and hope the rest of your birds are okay!!

1 person likes this.
  3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] x2 what Redsoxs said.

If you introduce a new chicken(s) to your flock you must quarantine it for a few weeks first, some say 4 weeks, to make sure it's not carrying disease. I made the mistake of adding a few new chickens once without checking they are healthy, next thing I knew I lost a hen. They had lice AND worms. Took me forever to get rid of the lice. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. jbirds2012

jbirds2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2012
    paicines, ca.
    [​IMG]

x2 on fedsoxs and sumi's advice. good luck to ya.

5. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]. Hope the above posts will help you with your issue.

6. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    Howdy!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. aaabirdman

aaabirdman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2012
    NY
    Welcome to BYC from NY[​IMG]

8. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad to have you aboard. I would start with some sort of antibiotic in their water. Good luck. :thumbsup

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    :frow & :welcome from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

10. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] from California, I agree with the above advise given.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by