Hello and HELP!!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by blackwell711, Jul 27, 2013.

1. blackwell711

blackwell711 In the Brooder

Jul 27, 2013
    Tennyson, Texas
    Glad to finally be apart opf such a wonderful collection of folks that love chickens the same as we do. We live in West Texas and have finally gotten a good lil flock going. But today our free range buff orpingtons encountered some trouble while we were in town. The neighboring ranch dog got a hold of our big rooster and didnt tear him up but gave him a good scare Im sure. The neighbors kids came and got the bird from the dog and put him in a pile of sticks in our back yard for fear that our dog woulds bite if they got too close. Shaken but otherwise okay we put him back with the flock but found that he had fire ants all over him. What can we do? Just worried and concerned for our big boss. Thanks for any help and its awesome to be a member of BYC.

2. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Songster

Jul 22, 2013
    Kansas
    give him a bath?

Sorry to hear of the troubles but I'm glad he survived! Welcome to the group, we're glad to have you here :)

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO.

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    [​IMG]

4. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Crowing

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

5. LeviS

LeviS Songster

May 22, 2012
    North Dakota
    :welcome and good luck with your poultry adventure! :frow Good thing you have good neighbors! I don't think I would worry to much about the ants, since the chickens will probably just eat them off of him or fall off. If there still on him after a couple hours you could maybe give him a bath or something.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] sorry I have no experience with fire ants (thank goodness) . If you bathe the roo wouldn't that make them really angry & they would sting him & you. It might be best as one poster said - the other chickens will pick them off of him.

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Crowing

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Howdy from Kansas, blackwell711, and [​IMG]! Great to have you aboard! Good luck with your flock!

8. blackwell711

blackwell711 In the Brooder

Jul 27, 2013
    Tennyson, Texas
    Well thanks for all the support and happy to let you know that our big boy is fine. Just a lil friskier. Thanks again

9. Welcome to BYC I'm glad to hear that ur rooster is fine!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: