1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello and Need Advice!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by AnneLC, Sep 9, 2016.

1. AnneLC

AnneLC Just Hatched

Sep 9, 2016
    Hello from Central Nebraska! I keep a pair of Muscovy ducks in my chicken coop. My mama duck went broody and has successfully hatched three ducklings this morning in a corner of the coop. My question is what should I do now? How do I keep them safe? I have about 32 chickens and three young roosters. Should I separate her and the babies (I have a small separate coop for integrating young chicks into the flock) or take the babies away and raise them in my brooder?? The weather is getting cooler and we don't have the safest chicken run although the coop is totally secure at night. Also, she hatched on guinea keet I rescued from a demolished guinea nest???

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, AnneLC, and :welcome. Happy you joined us! I'm not sure of the answer but it would seem to me that having the baby ducklings in with the chickens would not end well for the ducklings. The safest thing would be as you suggested - raising them in your brooder. That's my two cents worth...others may chime in with other thoughts. Best of luck to you!

4. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Welocome to Backyard chickens! I hope you have fun!

5. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] so glad you joined us.

I agree with @redsoxs .

You already have concerns and IMO best to listen to those and move them into a safe brooder to make sure you don't have to live with regrets.

6. AnneLC

AnneLC Just Hatched

Sep 9, 2016
    Thank you! I've kicked the chickens out of the coop so she can get them all safely hatched and dried, but of course now it's RAINING and my poor chickens are getting soaked. I've had so many trial and error failures (mostly from predators) with chicks and ducklings that I don't want to take any more chances. This is my first year owning any kind of poultry and I'm "learning by doing", I guess, but it's stressful! I think I'll move them to the brooder.

7. AnneLC

AnneLC Just Hatched

Sep 9, 2016
    Also, do I need to wait till they're all dry to move them?

8. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    If they are still hatching, do you have a covered crate or dog cage you could place mom and hatchings in to keep them safe from the flock and keep them there until all are safely hatched?

Seems it would be best to wait til they are all hatched and dry before making the move.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree with Sunflour

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by