Hello and please help!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by tattooedfarmer, Jun 29, 2016.

1. tattooedfarmer

tattooedfarmer New Egg

Jun 29, 2016
    Hello folks Canadian guy here. EH! After a tragic accident I have 6 mallard eggs in my homemade incubator. When candled a week ago everyone seemed fine and healthy. But as of yesterday I've noticed a rather dark spot on one of the eggs?!?! Anyone able to tell me if its good or bad? Temps are around 28-30 celcius and humidity is 75-85%. Thank you in advance truly love this site!!!

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! I'm afraid your temps are very low, you need to be aiming for at least 37.5C if your incubator has a fan and at least 38.3 for an incubator without a fan measured at the top of the eggs. Has your incubator been running at the is temp for over a week? The humidity is also high even for duck eggs I'm afraid. Can you see movement in the eggs?

I see you have posted in the incubating section, I'm sure members will be able to offer you more advice there too.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You might also post on the "Duck thread." they would know what temps and humidity are necessary - I don't.

4. tattooedfarmer

tattooedfarmer New Egg

Jun 29, 2016
    Thank you for your reply!! I'm determined to save at least one duckling but hard to say. This is my first time hatching anything so who knows for sure what the future has for these guys.

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

6. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop

Your most welcome and here is an article that I'm sure you will find most helpful ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101

It's a bible on incubating and hatching :highfive:

7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Best of luck with your hatch!

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by