Hello and questions from Minneapolis!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Amanda T, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Amanda T

Amanda T Just Hatched

Mar 23, 2017
    Minneapolis, MN
    Hi all!
    I'm Amanda from NE Minneapolis, MN. I'm about to embark on keeping some backyard chickens for the first time - I am very excited and also nervous that I will accidentally kill them all! Jk. Sort of. :) I am looking for advice on breeds and where to buy. I have two girls, 2.5 and 4.5 so am looking for a docile breed that will be good with the kids and also is cold weather tolerant. I was thinking buff orpingtons but everywhere I look I am finding mostly chicks. I'd like to start with older birds so we can have eggs sooner rather than later. Does anyone have any advice about where to buy, or if they think a different breed would be best?
    My husband is busy building a coop as we speak, and I still have to get it approved and my permit issued. Has anyone been through this process with the city of Minneapolis who could tell me about how long they had to wait to get the permit? I am waiting until we have everything set to go chicken shopping but I want to get things moving asap.

Thanks for reading/responding! If I have too many questions for an intro post - sorry! Let me know and I"ll move it elsewhere. This site is huge! :)

2. BYCforlife

BYCforlife Overrun With Chickens

Hey, Amanda T! [​IMG] I have no answers for you, I am sure someone with more chicken experience will come soon! I only have heritage breed birds, so I don't have experience in that field. [​IMG]

3. Leah567

Leah567 Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Apr 3, 2017
    Texas
    My Coop
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us! You can get chicken on craigslist.

4. Amanda T

Amanda T Just Hatched

Mar 23, 2017
    Minneapolis, MN
    @BYCforlfie - Thanks for the welcome! :)

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  5. Amanda T

Amanda T Just Hatched

Mar 23, 2017
    Minneapolis, MN
    Thanks Leah! I've been browsing craigslist, am a little overwhelmed! I'll have to start making some calls!

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    The thing about older birds rather than chicks, is they have probably grown with no contact with children. Whereas chicks would grow up with them and hopefully receive gentle socialization with your family. But it's your call.

Buff orps are a popular and docile breed, as are Black Australorps (which) come down from Orpingtons). You can also check out the breed reviews - where folks discuss pros & cons of the breeds they have.

Welcome to the Backyard chickens flock. [​IMG]

7. Amanda T

Amanda T Just Hatched

Mar 23, 2017
    Minneapolis, MN
    Thank you drumstick diva! Your username makes me chuckle lol. I did think about that... I'm anxious to have eggs, but I agree it seems like raising chicks is the way to go for the kids... I appreciate the input and I will definitely check out black australops and the breed reviews. Thanks!!

8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    1 person likes this.
  9. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Amanda [​IMG] Welcome!

As you have already received some good advice and links to some great starting points, I will just wish you all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock when they arrive, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by