Hello and questions

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Youngmomof3, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Youngmomof3

Youngmomof3 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2012
    Hello! We are a new chicken family. We have 6 barred rocks and 6 isa browns. They are about one month old. They lived inside the heated barn (with a light too) until this past weekend. My husband built a really awesome coop outside. As soon as I get the photos downloaded, I will add them. They have a nice area inside attached to a fenced in run outside. They will be locked inside during the night. We have two bird dogs so they will not be free range. They seem to be settling in nicely out there. We are having fun with them. My three kids are obsessed with "checking" on them.

I do have one question. They have not ventured outside of the coop on their own. Will they eventually do this or do they need to be "taught"? I just opened their door yesterday and they never went out. Same thing so far today. Didn't know if we should be putting them outside or if they will eventually figure that out?

Anyway, I've been lurking for awhile and wanted to introduce myself. Thanks for "listening".

2. ButchGood

ButchGood Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    Central Texas
    Have you ever taken them outside? Do they know what the outside world has to offer? If not, I would show them. I started putting mine out at 5 days old. They went into the coop at 2 weeks old and had full access to coop and run at 3 weeks old. When I first opened the coop chicken door all 16 were outside in 1 minute.They are now 5 weeks old and putting themselves in at night.

3. Youngmomof3

Apr 4, 2012
    We had them out there a few times when the days were warm. No idea if they know how to get down the ramp? When they were outside, they did go about 1/2 way up the ramp, but never all the way into the coop. I would gladly put them out there, but my worry is, if they get too cold, will they know enough to get back inside by the lamp? I'm home all day today so I can keep checking on them to see if they are showing signs of getting cold. UGH! Maybe I'm over analyzing these things? LOL. =)

4. Youngmomof3

Apr 4, 2012
    It's a high of about 58 degrees today.

5. kkowa

kkowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2012
    Wisconson
    take them outside and put them in the run and sit in their with them( ur mommy) and just watch them peak and hop around and then lead them up a ramp with a meal worm or eatrth worm if u havent given them any worms yet i would start put 1 or 2 in ur hand and put it in the brooder and let them take it over time they will know what to look fo when heir older too

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by