Hello and Thank You in advance from North Carolina

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by duskins, Mar 25, 2013.

1. duskins

duskins Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2013
    Mt. Holly, NC
    Hello & Good Day,

I have branched out this year as I am in my 2nd full year in building my micro/homestead farm. Using 10 acres, I hope to continually provide for my family with high quality meats, produce, and enjoyment. The micro farm currently has a breeding pair of Yorshire Pigs, 10 breeding pairs of New Zealand Whites, 1 acre of vegetables, 1/2 acre of dwarf fruit trees (peach, apple, fig, lemon, lime, cherry, and orange), 1/2 acre of fruit plants (grape, blueberry, strawberry, and raspberry), and now I have CHICKS!!!!

I built out 4 10'x10' coops that I have secured the pens from most predators from tips and suggestions from many of your threads using all reclaimed products. I have 25 RIR females now 6 weeks old which I will house in one coop together, 25 Americanas which I will house in the second coop, and one coop I plan on raising the roosters from the straight runs in to about 16 weeks then freeze them!

Next year I plan on finishing fencing in 5 acres into 1/4 acre paddocks so I can get a Dairy cow and 2 beef cows to round off the farm some.

Any suggestions would be great! I look forward to continual learning and beng able to offer some learning tips from my past struggles and trials! I will say all f this has been great for myself and the family as the kids are really into the "farm"! It has also been a passion of mine to do something different than my corporate job all the time.

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I don't have chickens so I don't have any advice but [​IMG]

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, duskins, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community! It sounds like we should be coming to you for advice! Best of luck with your operation and have fun!

4. duskins

Mar 25, 2013
    Mt. Holly, NC
    Thanks for the Warm Welcome! Jam still learning each day!

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

6. cravenchx

cravenchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    [​IMG] What part of NC are from growing lime and lemon trees?

7. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

8. duskins

Mar 25, 2013
    Mt. Holly, NC
    I am between Mt Holly and Denver. I have to take them in during the winter into the barn

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by