1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello and Thank you in Advance

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by tdpeake, Apr 7, 2016.

1. tdpeake

tdpeake New Egg

Apr 7, 2016
    Spartanburg, SC
    We are going to get our first chickens this morning. I have my brooder set up and heated and I am finishing the coop this week, during my spring break. My 6 and 2-year-old are excited, and my wife asked for this as a birthday present. Either this or a shotgun, and I am thinking the shotgun would have been less work.

I am happy to have found this invaluable resource online, and will make good use of it and you. I am a high school Engineering teacher so I hope to be able to get the plans for my coop, and any other devices I make or modify up for the community. I can take your plans and put them into AutoCAD or Inventor to create blueprints of them if anyone wishes. Just let me finish my coop and run first.

2. nposluszny

nposluszny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2016
    Johnstown, NY
    Sounds like you've got a lot under control! And yes, a shotgun is waaaaay easier, lol. I'm working with my first chickens as well, everyone here has been super helpful. Welcome to BYC! [​IMG][​IMG]

3. mlm Mike

mlm Mike Sunna and Mani

Aug 14, 2010
    Hardy Township, OH
    [​IMG]

4. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and a warm welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us. You seem to have everything planned out, which is great and very kind of you to offer to help members out with AutoCad - I'm sure you will have some members taking you up on that offer!

The Learning Centre is a great resource, even for experienced chicken keepers - loads of info on anything chicken. https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

These links may help you for the moment.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/getting-started-raising-chickens
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-and-raising-chicks

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - just type the name of your state in the search box.

All the best
    CT

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to the Backyard chickens flock. What breeds are you getting?

6. tdpeake

tdpeake New Egg

Apr 7, 2016
    Spartanburg, SC
    We have 4 Plymouth barred rock hens chicks [​IMG]

7. mlm Mike

mlm Mike Sunna and Mani

Aug 14, 2010
    Hardy Township, OH
    Oh my, how nice. Looks like a nice brooder set up !

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

9. tdpeake

tdpeake New Egg

Apr 7, 2016
    Spartanburg, SC
    As soon as I get everything with the coop finished, planning for a fieldtrip, and my woodshop cleaned up, I plan on posting everything plus plans for the coop or brooder including improvements.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by