Hello and thank you!

ChookRook

Hatching
Apr 1, 2016
Hey all,

Just an introduction...

But first I want to say thank you to all of you for all the helpful information and threads on this site! I am new to chickens but have been pouring over all the helpful suggestions and tips posted by all of your members for several months.

With that said (drum roll)...

We are a new family in Pennsylvania, and bought land and are trying our hand at chickens! My wife is a city girl and although I grew up in the country, this will be my first fowl foray!

We have 12 little ladies and 1 wee bad boy set to arrive later this month and I have been a busy bee trying to get ready for their arrival. We decided on 4 Buff Orpingtons, 4 Silver Laced Wyandotts, and 4 Speckled Sussex. Hopefully we have chosen wisely! The roo will be another Buff - we'll see how many survive the many mistakes we make (and if the roo survives my pregnant wife!) but hopefully we will have a nice healthy, thriving community before long.

We are incorporating a dueling garden approach with a nice compost corner to rotate them in and out of. We also thought we'd start raising meal worms and some nice red wrigglers to tie it all together. It all works in my head, but you know how the best laid plans usually work out...

Not so good.

But I have hope!

Starting with Hiland feed, I've read some favorable reviews on it and we have a mill here that sells it for less than half of what we can get it online. I know there are varying schools of thought on feed, but definitely want to start the flock on a non-GMO feed as long as we can afford it. Hopefully we will be able to supplement enough from gardens and such to cut down on costs, but we are definitely excited for this new adventure! Love all your coops and comments people! I don't know any of you but from our family to yours, a big thank you from PA! Whether you know it or not, you are already holding our hands as we begin something new! So thank you again and hello!

Hi and welcome to BYC - what a great intro and its good to know that BYC has helped you so far. I'm sure that now you are a member you will find it even more useful, and who knows - maybe fun as well?
smile.png

Joining your state thread may be useful as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - just type the name of your state in the search box.

Best of luck with your impending chicken adventure!

Cheers
CT

You have picked good breeds. We may not be able to hold your hands but, we are here 24/7 and have your back. Welcome to the Backyard chickens flock

welcome-byc.gif

You picked some lovely breeds to start out with, I hope you enjoy them!

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Best of luck with your chicken venture!

Back
Top Bottom