Hello and Thank You

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by HiddenHart, Sep 23, 2016.

1. HiddenHart

HiddenHart New Egg

Sep 23, 2016
    Middle Tennessee
    Hi, I'm Dee. Well, I've been a stalker of this wonderful site for years, so I joined basically to say thank you for all I've learned. I hope to share what we've done to help others with what is working and the mistakes we have made.

Despite the good advice on here, our first attempt of having backyard chickens on our small 15 acre farm, which is in the city flanked with commercial property and a suburb, did not go well. We bought an online chicken tractor that was poorly protected, bought too many chickens, and ultimately lost 5 of the 6 to predators. The last poor girl was so lonely; she started breaking her eggs. We gave her to another friend with a flock, and she is doing fine. Her name was Lucky.

I was determined not to allow harm to befall our next flock, and thankfully, I have the support of my handy DH to do it right this time. Our first flock were 6 RIR from the Co-op, but this time I wanted a rainbow, so we bought 15 (the minimum in April allowed to be shipped) brown egg layers from mypetchicken.com. My only complaint was that I got 7 "assorted" breeds. I assumed they would send what they had available, which they did, but they did not write down which breeds they sent, nor were they able to tell what I had when I called. But the chicks were healthy and have grown strong. I know we have 2 Gold Stars, 4 Buckeyes, and 2 Rhode Island Reds. I have tried to guess the rest. We have an old shed that we have converted into a coop and built a good-sized yard attached. We let them roam when we are home.
    So, thank you again, and we will try to get our coop project story online soon.

God bless. [​IMG][/IMG]

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    1 person likes this.
  3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Dee, and :welcome. Pleased you joined us. Sorry to hear your first go round with chickens didn't go so well. Looks like you have taken some step so Round 2 goes better! Best wishes and enjoy your flock and BYC!

1 person likes this.
  4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

1 person likes this.
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Nice to meet you Dee, glad you joined us at Backyard chickens [​IMG]. You can submit photos at "what breed or gender is this." The folks there should be able to sort things out for you.

1 person likes this.
  6. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there Dee! I am so sorry to hear you lost your first little ladies! I know how it feels, I lost 5 Golden Laced Wyandottes about a month or two ago, and it was heartbreaking. Haha, I actually like it when hatcheries send me surprises, it is fun to try and guess what they will be! I included the Tennessee state thread, you can chat with local people there. Have fun!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/226276/tennessee

1 person likes this.
  7. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Thanks for joining us Dee, it's nice to have you here!

1 person likes this.
  8. limited25

limited25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2016
    Oklahoma
    [​IMG] Dee, Welcome to BYC, glad you have joined us. Your coop is very nice ... great job. I was a lurker here before I joined too. We started off with 5 chicks, all production reds, sold at RIRs. Got to know them apart by their personalities, but wanted some colorful hens after seeing everyone's chickens here on BYC. Got a receipt listing the breeds we purchased, but when she got older, it was obvious they got the breed wrong, and she was the same color as our 1st flock. Turned out good though because her personality really is something, she is my favorite hen. So we got some eye candy too, and really enjoy watching them and being able to tell who is who from a distance. We also got a cockerel ... [​IMG] which was supposed to be a pullet. Good luck with yours.

Your flock sounds very nice. After you post 20 posts, take some pictures of them and start a new thread asking what breed they are.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  9. The Duck Ladie

The Duck Ladie Duck Addict

Feb 23, 2016
    Hello, and Welcome to Backyard Chickens! It's great to have you!

1 person likes this.
  10. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by